Super Jet Got flywheel off, does this look normal? (pics)

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
my stator looks brand new and its the stock one from 04. i would be changing some seals out if i was you. there isnt any sign of water or it would be milky, so all that had to come from somewhere. seals...

Proformance1

Liquid Insanity
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
If you didnt have flywheel lock on, if you arent discussing the woodruf key, you didnt torque the bolt to 50 ft lbs then did you? If you didnt torque, you need to. IMO

I had just put a fresh top end in and found my front seal leaking. I flipped the motor and replaced the seal to save the money and time of having to order another head gasket. It wasn't bad at all. You don't want to leave a leak in your engine, it will affect performance in my opinion.

Ok well my hull should be going off for paint and turf for a couple weeks so I guess I have time to replace seals, just going to need your guys help, might aswell buy a new spring for my bendix since its cheap. I guess Ill need to build a little stand to flip it over and take the bottom apart. Does this mean the flywheel has to comeback off? Anything else I should buy for this fix, new seals new spring maybe some 1211? Guess I will need to buy a torque wrench too...I dont mind getting my hands dirty, just hope I dont make a bigger problem out of this :ugh:

Last edited:

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Easier to pressure test than it is to rebuild, especially if your new at it. Like you said more issues

Not if you dont have the parts to do this or the equipment!!!!!!!!!

I have been riding for 21 years now. I still do not own the parts to do a pressure test and I have been rebuilding my own since 1995.

Proformance1

Liquid Insanity
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Let's see. New mechanic. Crap in stator area. Um rebuild motor upside down in dirty garage with no torque wrench or possibly friends to hold the assembly up in the air while changing seals cleaning gasket areas up and Honda bonding area, lining up case pins etc. Could have been a hack mechanic who threw in a used stator gasket and it leaked making the grease look that way. Pressure test kit. 45 bucks or a drill and some steel with a grinder. Pump with gauge, local auto parts store 25 bucks. Hmmmm.....

Last edited:

D-Roc

I forgot!
leak tests are easy and if you have a motor that is ready to be torn down, if you give it a leak test before, you can find all the leaks and investigate why they are leaking where they are. if your doing the cranks seals....for crying in the mud howard, buy some gaskets and re assemble the entire motor. I know if your buddies are all down and you need to ride tommorrow and don't have anything but the crank seal then yeah hack that thing in for the weekend but then after the ride, get it done right ASAP.

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
Let's see. New mechanic. Crap in stator area. Um rebuild motor upside down in dirty garage with no torque wrench or possibly friends to hold the assembly up in the air while changing seals cleaning gasket areas up and Honda bonding area, lining up case pins etc. Could have been a hack mechanic who threw in a used stator gasket and it leaked making the grease look that way. Pressure test kit. 45 bucks or a drill and some steel with a grinder. Pump with gauge, local auto parts store 25 bucks. Hmmmm.....

if, just if it was a hack mecaninc that put the last flywheel cover gasket on water would leak in. ever seen oil and water mix? it turns milky white/gray...

he already said he was going to buy a torque wrench (which is a must have in any garage). im sure he has a friend and if not a couple blocks of wood could hold the crank up... the case pins get aligned the same way, whether its up side down with the cylinder on or its up side down with the rods hanging threw. do you put the crank on the bottom case first? i sure dont and i dont think anyone else does either...

Proformance1

Liquid Insanity
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
BTW, to get back on track again. If you need help, ask. If you require a pressure test kit, ASK. If you need to know were to locate a free manual to tell you how to do all this properly ask, or better yet search. It's all been covered before and if you pull the motor and do it properly, you wont have any issues again for a few years, if not, youll have lots of questions again and again. You have a problem, most likely caused by something unknown by looking at pictures, could have been a bad crank bearing that wiped out the seal??? If you want to fix it you need to understand whats going on with all aspects of the motor. This is why shops exist. BTY, I do not own a shop, but I used to. Just my 2 cents. I just hate to see new guys get thrown half advise that sends them into a down ward spiral that ultimately bleeds them of ride time cash etc, ultimately driving them from the sport.

john zigler

Vendor Account
like stated above, i too would recomend doing a leak down test.

i have new seals available, if you want, AND gasket block off plates to do a leak down.

please email, or call the shop if i cna help out. good luck.

Top Bottom