SX/SXi/SXi Pro Great spark, has fuel, no start...

Hey guys, i need help. '92 750sx, just had carb rebuilt, great spark, engine cranks over very well, lots of fuel flowing from return port on carb, but motor will not fire. motor is all stock. I have not checked compression recently. Is it possible for timing to be off? looking for help and advice. Great forum!

Update:
I installed a fuel primer last night. Engine will run on fuel primed into carb and then dies again. There is no fuel going into carb throat without primer. Looks like a compression test would be wise at this time...

Last edited:
Weird thing is I just had the carb professionally rebuilt. Anyone know what would cause the fuel to enter the carb and then go straight out the return port?

Lines are good. How does the diaphragm work inside a keihin carb? Is it compression operated? I believe the fuel pump is compression operated too, and it does pump so I must some compression.

bought some new reeds, how do i install them to make them seal completely. They are carbon fiber and i can tell which ones aren't sealing because the black color of the reed cage does not show through. How do I fix this?

I just recently had the same problem we were getting fuel on the high end but low end sucked, turns out our diaphragm had a leak bought a rebuild kit and the problem was solved take your carb and check it piece by piece blow out all ports and valves that you see

PWCSAR

River Rat
A service manual might help with carbs and reeds. Their handy to have especially for torque specs
I need to do my carbs also but would prefer that someone who specializes in carbs only does them, that way I don't have to keep taking them off etc.. So as soon as I can afford it www.osbengineering.com

Last edited:
After some tests, I found I have about 125 psi in each cylinder, is this ok? I did a vacuum test on the crankcase while cranking engine and pressure ranged from -5 psi to 5 psi. Is this enough for the carb diaphragm to operate. I am beginning to think I do not have enough vacuum in the crankcase because if I cover the throat of the carb as much possible and crank it, it will pop. Uncovered and the engine will not run and no fuel enters the throat of the carb. The next test I was advised to try was a true vacuum test on the crankcase by sealing the intake and exhaust manifold and put a vacuum on the case. I was told that if I can get negative pressure and air begins to leak back in, I may need crank seals.

Also, is the "T" of a fuel primer meant to be installed on the fuel supply line or return line?

You said you have fuel flowing through the return line so your fuel pump is pumping and recieving pulse from crankcase. You prime it and it fires. Take your carbs apart and clear all the ports, jets, high and low screw ports, N/S. check pop off is good and you should be A-OK. One small fleck of anything can block the low jet and ski wont run.

If you're worried about crankcase pressure, carbon reeds are harder to pull air/fuel through then whatever was in there. 125psi is low from memory. Grab a service manual there's one on here somewhere. And it sounds like your fuel is getting stuck inside the carbs. Do as wanderer1 said

Top Bottom