Greats in our sport !

I have never seen him ride in person, but from the posts and what he says about himself i am guessing Aquaholic is for sure expert level. I have a job interview in 2 weeks in san diego and one of the main reasons i hope i get it is cuz i could then ride with aqua and his friends. some of his friends sound like good riders even though he is way better

I have never seen him ride in person, but from the posts and what he says about himself i am guessing Aquaholic is for sure expert level. I have a job interview in 2 weeks in san diego and one of the main reasons i hope i get it is cuz i could then ride with aqua and his friends. some of his friends sound like good riders even though he is way better

Where have you been Mikesee?

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
On the topic of greats not always being riders, tom21 has really made a difference for a lot of people trying to get by on limited income. He's made almost no money helping a whole lot of us.

tntsuperjet

Tntperformance-engineering.com
I'm gonna go back a little further.
Freestyle.
Scott Watkins - surf, made reentry famous, and first to do it
Randy Lane- surf Legend, superman on a 440!
Doug Silverstein- surf and racer
Dave Gordon- freestyle.
Jeff Kantz- first fixed steer world champion freestyle.
Larry rippenkroker- freestyle
Lloyd Burlew- most flamboyant of all time. Freestyler.
Racers.
Jeff Jacobs, Bill pointer, flying Fish, Mac, Larry Ripper, Dave Gordon, Rob Flip flop, Kenny moon man reeves, Darren Rahlves. Derrik Capler. Todd Ross
I have scene many come and go who have been great but there personality and or sportsmanship kept me from adding to this list.

But the one name that stands out head and shoulders above the rest is Darren Rahlves.
He never raced as a pro but was a dominant rider in expert class and this sport was considered cross training. Darren left the sport when he was accepted into the men's USA alpine ski team and never raced as a pro.
But today he stands as the most decorated American men's alpine skier of all time. With many World Cup championships and a gold medal, and he is the most humble man you will ever meet.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
I'm gonna go back a little further.
Freestyle.
Scott Watkins - surf, made reentry famous, and first to do it
Randy Lane- surf Legend, superman on a 440!
Doug Silverstein- surf and racer
Dave Gordon- freestyle.
Jeff Kantz- first fixed steer world champion freestyle.
Larry rippenkroker- freestyle
Lloyd Burlew- most flamboyant of all time. Freestyler.
Racers.
Jeff Jacobs, Bill pointer, flying Fish, Mac, Larry Ripper, Dave Gordon, Rob Flip flop, Kenny moon man reeves, Darren Rahlves. Derrik Capler. Todd Ross
I have scene many come and go who have been great but there personality and or sportsmanship kept me from adding to this list.

But the one name that stands out head and shoulders above the rest is Darren Rahlves.
He never raced as a pro but was a dominant rider in expert class and this sport was considered cross training. Darren left the sport when he was accepted into the men's USA alpine ski team and never raced as a pro.
But today he stands as the most decorated American men's alpine skier of all time. With many World Cup championships and a gold medal, and he is the most humble man you will ever meet.
I agree.

Doug Silverstein is a great guy. Got to know him the last few years I was racing when he got involved with Mike Young helping out. I worked on fridays setting up the course and the Tower. Doug came to many events and helped setup and work TECH and what not.

tntsuperjet

Tntperformance-engineering.com
As for the free ride side of things.
I have to say the grandfathers and founders of free ride world.
The Wavebusters.
Who in here has heard of them and know the three members who started it.
I have had the privilege of riding with them at a few of there events.
They are all few years older then me and I was considered the crazy kid to them, as I rode a detuned pro mod 550 in the day they all ride home stock 550's with ride plate and maybe a milled head.
With 2-1/2 times there horsepower it wasn't hard for me to go big.
Something you don't see today is boats exploding on impact.
San Diego silver strand I flat landed a 550 and the whole boat blew apart at bond line all the way around, hood latch blew off and handle pole shattered at pivot bolt.
Back then if you sand darted you reached in pulled your motor out no tools required and threw the rest away

rubbertoe

X-H20 certified
Wow ,i really like hearing about the pioneers of our sport .Sorry for my absent on the thread .The main reason i posted was to spotlight the etiquette of our sports top guys which i take pride in being a part of. ( A bit of an enlightenment shout out of recent lame actions of our local group ) Focus on the competitors as well as the people behind them some are privateers some are backed . I feel as professionals our small sport as a whole has a good reputation of history that i can subscribe to, as well as the lifestyles ,and the commitment of the people backing them. some are so new, some old, to this sports industry . Some have established roots and reputations some don't ,things change over time some good some bad , some have no history all and are tbd .in this industries professional riders, i don't think its all about the mighty dollar as much as other professional sports ,more the love of the sport ,even though for the ones backing , consumers money does play a big part .Thoughts?

Last edited:
Top Bottom