Guess I need to buy a ford Maverick

A good friend of mine whom is a chemist and also worked in the aluminum industry for much of his life was also part of the R&D on the GM aluminum body parts experimental alloy rolling. He said that GM figured out a coating that as far as I know, they still use on the mild steel areas of the bodies that won't allow the panels to rust. But, he also said it was designed to have just enough resiliency to last 10 years before it has seen enough road debris, sand, salt, whatever it gets exposed to and lets the body metal begin to rot. Initially they had a hard time getting it to fill out properly on corners and it would either not cover or be the thinnest point that easily would chip off and begin rusting. I forget what he said they did to correct that, either rounded the corners or a slight change in the chemical composition to make it thicken when it began to curtain and not fall off...but once they figured it out there was a noticeable increase on GM vehicles living in rust prone environments that were not showing much rust after 5,6, 7 years and had no aftermarket under coating to help prevent it. But the 10 year old vehicles were showing up with a lot of rot. It was a strategy GM opted for to encourage perpetual annual sales that worked pretty much on par.

bored&stroked

Urban redneck
New chevy LS's [dont get me started on calling them LT's] are failing like crazy in the valvetrain.
Dodge hemi's? You guessed it, well known for valvetrain issues since they came out.

All new crap is just that, crap. Take your pick and enjoy the sh*t show lol. Or just buy a toyota.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
New chevy LS's [dont get me started on calling them LT's] are failing like crazy in the valvetrain.
Dodge hemi's? You guessed it, well known for valvetrain issues since they came out.

All new crap is just that, crap. Take your pick and enjoy the sh*t show lol. Or just buy a toyota.
Toyota's are junk now too. My buddy did it right and got himself a really nice early 2000's F350 7.3 for 10k then dumped another 10k into in, updated front end, engine mods, exhaust, suspension, backup camera, led gauges, all new leather interior etc. Pretty much has a brand new truck without all the b/s for a fraction of what a new truck costs.

Myself

manic mechanic
New chevy LS's [dont get me started on calling them LT's] .......
I know.....WTF is up with that? First I rmember hearing the classic car guys talking about back when I was a teenager........"My old '70 Camaro had an LT1 and it wasn't anything like this...." Now I'm that guy, thinking NO....the LT1 was another version of TPI, that things an LS LOL!!

FWIW, the GM 5.3 truck engines up to 2006 have been remarkably reliable. So far myself and a friend have near 300k on ours. We will find out just how far they will go. The rest of the truck isn't doing as well. Overall Im happy with my $3000 Suburban. I still consider GM as "Garbage Motors" and they are now making Fords look bad.

bored&stroked

Urban redneck
I know.....WTF is up with that? First I rmember hearing the classic car guys talking about back when I was a teenager........"My old '70 Camaro had an LT1 and it wasn't anything like this...." Now I'm that guy, thinking NO....the LT1 was another version of TPI, that things an LS LOL!!
Its not a version of the TPI
The first LT1 was just a version of the gen1 small block in the 70's.
Second LT1 was a gen2 small block. LT reffers to the entire generation, hence why everyone associates the name with it only. Reverse flow coolant, optispark ignition etc
Now the current LT is a gen4 motor, which is basically a gen 3 [the named LS] with direct injection
FWIW, the GM 5.3 truck engines up to 2006 have been remarkably reliable. So far myself and a friend have near 300k on ours. We will find out just how far they will go. The rest of the truck isn't doing as well. Overall Im happy with my $3000 Suburban. I still consider GM as "Garbage Motors" and they are now making Fords look bad.
They didn't get bad until they went to cylinder deactivation.

The new V6 Tundras I wouldn't touch. I drive an 09 gen 2 Tundra with the 5.7. It now has 435,000+kms on it (~272,000 miles) and it still runs as smooth as the day I bought it. I bought it as a second owner and it has definitely had some issues that are manufacturing defects. Toyota really should be ashamed of such an embarrassment tbh, but aside from the things that I could get a warranty to cover, the rest has been managable and I really do like the truck. But the honest truth to the automotive industry as a whole is that they're all junk. They all have serious issues and I believe are made to fail. It's not like how it used to be in the mechanical field where things actually met or surpassed their wear limits. Nowadays it's a throw away society. The parts aren't serviceable anymore because they cost more to repair than to replace, body metal is thin and cheap so it will rot and deteriorate a lot faster than the rolling chasis or in some cases it all cascades downhill at the same speed. It's all about money to them, forget the customer, shove the junk out the door and let the customer deal with the problems. That has only ever been my experience with the automotive industry. I just try to find the better of all evils and so far the 5.7 V8 Tundras have been it. I'll never accept a V6 engine in a full size truck though, it has no business being in there.

The new V6 Tundras I wouldn't touch. I drive an 09 gen 2 Tundra with the 5.7. It now has 435,000+kms on it (~272,000 miles) and it still runs as smooth as the day I bought it. I bought it as a second owner and it has definitely had some issues that are manufacturing defects. Toyota really should be ashamed of such an embarrassment tbh, but aside from the things that I could get a warranty to cover, the rest has been managable and I really do like the truck. But the honest truth to the automotive industry as a whole is that they're all junk. They all have serious issues and I believe are made to fail. It's not like how it used to be in the mechanical field where things actually met or surpassed their wear limits. Nowadays it's a throw away society. The parts aren't serviceable anymore because they cost more to repair than to replace, body metal is thin and cheap so it will rot and deteriorate a lot faster than the rolling chasis or in some cases it all cascades downhill at the same speed. It's all about money to them, forget the customer, shove the junk out the door and let the customer deal with the problems. That has only ever been my experience with the automotive industry. I just try to find the better of all evils and so far the 5.7 V8 Tundras have been it. I'll never accept a V6 engine in a full size truck though, it has no business being in there.
It is fair that you will not accept a v6 engine in a truck, but the fact that the new engine is a v6 is NOT the root cause of their current issues.

It is fair that you will not accept a v6 engine in a truck, but the fact that the new engine is a v6 is NOT the root cause of their current issues.
Oh I agree, I'm just saying in general because I think about how horrible of an idea the ecoboost is. Small V6 gas engines cranked up to 12 to do the basic work of a naturally aspirated V8 have no place in a full size pickup no matter who makes it. Diesel is the only exception but it's not the norm in daily drivers and it's not comparing apples to apples so to speak. What little I know about the new Tundra is twin turbo, dual cooling system with dual rads but shares the same overflow tank? So if one cooling side had an issue you still have the second....unless the overflow comes into a problem and now both systems are doomed? Should have stayed with one rad as it sounds to me...why fix what isn't broken :/

They pumped up the engines without also increasing the durability of mechanical parts. This is nothing new for auto MFGs and will never change until they increase warranties by a lot. I remember Caterpillar giving an 850K engine warranty so they did a good job making it. New car customers never once asked how long the car will last. That question while never asked, gets answered by the second and third owners.

Last edited:
I really wanted to love these little trucks, been eyeballing buying one since their inception, but I just couldn't justify replacing my 4.3 S10 with one. Spent that same money as a decent optioned new Maverick and bought a 1year old Tesla Model 3 Performance instead. My lady had a 1.0L EcoSport that suicided itself before 50k miles, not very confidence inspiring.

Top Bottom