Custom/Hybrid Had the bridgeport working overtime last night..

GSXR RACER MIKE

20 years of stand up
i need a cnc! i have lots of ideas, id have it running day and night.. haha

Realistically you wouldn't need a big fancy CNC or even CAD/CAM software to get started, that could all be done with a small knee-mill based CNC programmed right on the control. I bet you could pick up a decent used one for $5k off Craigslist / E-Bay / or an auction - it might not have a tool changer or have a 10,000 PRM spindle and a 2000+ IPM rapid rate, but it would do the job well enough to get established.

You could make a multi-position fixture plate that allowed you to have multiple parts on the machine at one time, with each part in a different machining postion (top, sides, bottom). Write a program that uses the same tool where needed across all stations on the fixture to minimize tool changes and try and use the least number of tools and operations possible. Once finished with the program remove the part from the last station, move all remaining parts to the next station, and put a new 'blank' part in the first station, and start the program again.

Last edited:

THRUST

ThrustInnovations.com
great work and on bridgeport it must have been fun

but guys looking to purchase you have to have the same intake manifold as he made this for as intake manifolds will change in bore spacing a couple mm for all 62 t engines from manufacturer

There would be many variations in the bore spacing/diameter and carb/intake manufacturer combos that it would take some time to develop them all.
I may be over thinking but, i had thoughts on just how secure the fa horns on these modifed carbs are, i assume they are a press fit into the carb body,mabe even with some type of retaining compound to help keep them in. they are designed to be used with lightweight rubber flame arrestor.
It has me wondering if they will come loose over time from the carb body due to engine vibration with the added weight and leverage(from the height) of a stock flame arrestor. i am using a wamiltons carbon fa. so im not that concerned in my app.
a support bracket could be added if needed to stop any issues.

Bobert540

Site Supporter
There would be many variations in the bore spacing/diameter and carb/intake manufacturer combos that it would take some time to develop them all.
I may be over thinking but, i had thoughts on just how secure the fa horns on these modifed carbs are, i assume they are a press fit into the carb body,mabe even with some type of retaining compound to help keep them in. they are designed to be used with lightweight rubber flame arrestor.
It has me wondering if they will come loose over time from the carb body due to engine vibration with the added weight and leverage(from the height) of a stock flame arrestor. i am using a wamiltons carbon fa. so im not that concerned in my app.
a support bracket could be added if needed to stop any issues.

I had one of my fa horns come loose on my BJ carbs this summer. I never had a problem until I switched to the Wamiltons adapter for the stock FA. They are quite heavy for what they are and I think between wear and tear and the adapters is what made it loosen up. Art fixed it for me and I haven't had a problem since, but I may only use the stock FA w/adaptors for salt water.

My high school back in 2000 had a cnc in shop class. im sure with schools trying to cut costs and eliminate shop class, horrible to say but, i bet you could pick up a mill for a reasonable price from a school district or gov't auction. we used to make parts for our paintball guns...

Top Bottom