Hairline Crack on my '08 Hood, How did this happen?

Shifty

- SuperJet Thursday -
I noticed this the other day when I was washing my ski down. First looked like a little tiny chip and I ignored it but then after I was done drying her off I saw a little more water on the hood... well it wasn't water after all:ugh:. The crack is very faint and present on the underside of the hood as well. I know how the paint on this smc sucks, and I feel like it is going to promote peeling/ flaking now that it has lifted.

Is this something to worry about? Would yamaha would even consider warranting this?

I have no idea how this happened, nothing comes in contact with the ski there and I am not pulling rolls or flips on this thing. Just jumping wakes.

Thanks for this input

Attachments

• P4240036 (Medium).JPG
    P4240036 (Medium).JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 52
  • P6300246 (Medium).JPG
    P6300246 (Medium).JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 79
  • P6300247 (Medium).JPG
    P6300247 (Medium).JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 69
Kawi gave me a new pole once.

That is BS. They should clearly cover that and replace it.

Brand new and no rolls?? That was clearly a weak spot IMHO.

Thats gonna get worse quick too. Did you slam your knee in to it?

Dustin Mustangs

uʍop ǝpıs dn
Whatever you do, don't tell them you've jumped wakes with it when you go talk to them about this. In fact, you may want to breeze through the manual before you go and make note of everything they specifically tell you not to do.

A guy from one of my ride spots had the bond line on a brand new 06 start to crack after a few weeks of very light riding (similar to you). When he took it back to the stealership they asked if he had jumped wakes with it. Unfortunately he was honest and said yes. I'm not sure how much of his warranty that voided but they refused to do anything for him on a hull that had completely failed.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Yamaha paints the hood, vs gel-coating the hull.
It doesn't last long, likes to flake off.

Shifty

- SuperJet Thursday -
Stupid me, the guys at the service center told me what must have happened. I closed the hatch with something under it, which caused the crack (Not happening, I am the master of meticulous) They said Yamaha rarely covers hull damage unless it is documented as soon as it comes out of the crate and before it is registered. They offered to glass and spot paint it for me, I see the hood getting all scratched up in the process and the touch up being noticable.

ShAkEdOwN

Armada Racing
My hood cracked in the exact same spot the first year I had it. I suspect it was from a unsuccessfull nose stab or two. It is just the paint though and only cosmetic.

Shifty

- SuperJet Thursday -
I to thought this was only the paint, but it is also cracked on the inside. I cant get this thing to nose stab as of yet. I talked to a guy that is willing to send in some photo's to Yamaha, I hope they will cover this. I would like a carbon hood but I cant justify that right now.

Shonuff

I've got the glow
Site Supporter
It's like you sold someone a new car and they come back to you with a scratch and say 'what gives?'

You are most likely to believe it's their fault in some form or another.

Shifty

- SuperJet Thursday -
I know there are more to cracks to come, but I have not been ragging this ski out. I am riding on a lake so I cant see how this thing could encounter such a force that would cause this? My guess is maybe it was cracked before paint and the paint sealed the crack until it flexed a little and all of a sudden the crack was exposed. I will continue to ride until either my new hood is in or I get an aftermarket one. I would be PO'ed if it was sitting in the shop for three weeks during prime season.

Bad situation. Fact is you are probably gonna get better and destroy things but I would at least try to get a free hood and then reinforce.

Kawi replaced my pole once and then let me keep the 1 week old cracked one.

SMC is not a high strength composite. It's main benefit is weight. It's much lighter than other companies hull materials like Kawasaki.

at least it's not structural, or in a place that is under high stress.

I know there are more to cracks to come, but I have not been ragging this ski out. I am riding on a lake so I cant see how this thing could encounter such a force that would cause this? My guess is maybe it was cracked before paint and the paint sealed the crack until it flexed a little and all of a sudden the crack was exposed. I will continue to ride until either my new hood is in or I get an aftermarket one. I would be PO'ed if it was sitting in the shop for three weeks during prime season.

Top Bottom