Super Jet hand holds

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Most everything in search is related to foot holds or a build thread with lots of pages to browse through to possibly find nothing of use.

How do I add hand holds to my stock hood? Obviously I cut a hole, but how do I fill the back so theres not just a gaping hole dumping water into my air intakes?

http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/1453-Hood-modifications

Edit: I'm only considering doing hand holds right now because I'm painting the hood next week. If they don't get added by the day I need to start painting (because that's the day I have consecuative days to spray), I wont get to do them. Thanks.

Last edited:

djraider700

lol wut?
i thought you just cut the hole and drop in the handhold itself and epoxy/glass it in? just guessing here as i never installed one, but it seems pretty straight forward.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I understand that is the case if you have purchased one from Blowsion. What I want to know is if it is a big job to make one myself. More like the AM hood that the hole is cut into the hood. The AM hoods are set up for it before the liner is installed so I am not sure it can be done in the same way on a stock hood.

You would have to remove the liner and install litte buckets under the hold to avoind water in there. Wouldn't be bad to make a new liner anyhow stock one is heavy.

Boris

The Good Old Days
Cut the liner out all together or just where the handholds will be.
Build buckets and either make a new liner or repair the original one.

I saved a lot of weight on my SN hood making my own liner.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Thank you, thanks what I thought. Probably more work than I want to put into it as I want to start painting it monday. I do have Andre's hood on loan though so maybe.

I looked at the blowsion holds. They are simple but I don't want to spend $140 on them. They don't look anywhere near as clean as the AM hoods that have them cut in.

motozachl

uPsiDeDoWn
LOL I'm pretty sure that they make drop in hold that you can just cut a hole, drop in, and either pop rivot or epoxy in.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Yeah, but they are expensive and I don't like the way they look. They sit on the hood rather than just a hole cut in the hood. I don't like that. I'll make my own.

Just this liner is a bitch to remove. Lol.

scotts2t

Head Woop!
Do what boris said and build your own buckets which can be installed after you paint. If i remember correct i laid up on the side of a coffee can for the shape. As long as the hand hole is cut before paint it wont matter what you do on the inside later on.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
My GF drew these templates for me today. The top one is 4.75x2.5 and the bottom is 4.75x2.125. Do they look good? Any suggestions before I reprint and cut?

DSC00432.jpg

scotts2t

Head Woop!
Shape looks fine. When i was deciding on how to cut mine i cut the shape out of a piece of cardboarb. Put your hand in the hole to see how it feels lol. Im not trying to talk dirty lol.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Here's the hand hold test. I like the narrower hold better. I was thinking about doing 4 holds, but I may only do one. Again, I was hoping for some opinions from those who have more experience in this sort of thing. I have seen most hoods only have 1 hold, so I was only going to put the 3rd hold from the left (second from the right). However, I have seen aftermarket hoods that have 4 holds per side, so I was thinking there might be ad advantage to that. However, I also can see the disadvantage to adding 3 extra unecessary holds.

Cardboard test. I like the narrow one.
DSC00441.jpg

Sketch of potential placement. If I only do one hold, it will be the 3rd from the left (2nd from the right).
DSC00442.jpgDSC00443.jpg

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
My girlfriend adjusted the templates some. She removed the wider templates, and adjusted it so 6 templates could be printed per page. She also added a centered line for alignment, and outligned them with a box to further help with alignment. The alignment lines are actually blue/red, but all I had access to atm is a laser printer that's low on toner, lol, but it's doing the job.
DSC00444.jpg

Next, I drew a grid on the SJ to provide something for alignment. I followed the natural contour of the hood and made a mark every 1" top and bottom. I then used a very flexable ruler to draw a verticle line and mark the center of every lign. I then connected the center of each line so that I had an alignment line to center off of.
DSC00445.jpg

Lastly, I used tape to apply each template (not shown) temporarily so I could adjust them. Once I had a set location for each, I peeled the backing and stuck them to the hull
DSC00451.jpgDSC00449.jpgDSC00448.jpgDSC00447.jpg

This is a FINAL layup! If you have any comments or opinions, NOW is the time. I need to repeat for the right side and then I am ready to cut the hood. PLEASE if you have any comment make them ASAP. I will likely cut the hood tomorrow, wednesday at the latest!

Top Bottom