Handle Pole Stuck!!!

Patentcad

Well ain't that cute?
Okay, need some help with this one... I cant get the handle pole up enough to put the pin that supports it, into the notch?!? Its a 1995 SJ, stock pole. So i took the two nuts on the bolt off, but I cant get the bolt itself to unscrew itself!?! I have put a bunch of penetrating lube on the head, and the threads, and nothing! Even when I use my 2' wrench!! I am afraid of breaking the bracket, because when I put all my weight on the wrench, the only thing that moves is the bracket, which is trying to pull itself out of the hull! I have tried heating the bolt, and nothing. I have tried putting ice on the bolt, and still nothing. What should I do? Thanks!!

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Heat the bracket not the bolt, you want the bracket to expand not the bolt.

Keep hitting it with penetrating oils and just let it sit longer, use more heat or use a bigger wrench until something finally gives, praying the threads give first.

smoofers

Rockin' the SQUARE!!!!
Site Supporter
Have you tried tapping the threaded end with a hammer? Screw a nut onto the threaded end until it is flush with the end of the bolt and tap that with the hammer (so you don't screw up the threads). The sharp "ping" of the hammer might just break it loose.

My bolt came right out on my ski, but my friend's was in there pretty good, and the hammer trick worked.

Edit:

You are talking about the big stainless bolt that holds the handlepole to the handlepole bracket? It is not threaded into the bracket, it is a tight tolerance fit though.

Last edited:

Patentcad

Well ain't that cute?
Have you tried tapping the threaded end with a hammer? Screw a nut onto the threaded end until it is flush with the end of the bolt and tap that with the hammer (so you don't screw up the threads). The sharp "ping" of the hammer might just break it loose.

My bolt came right out on my ski, but my friend's was in there pretty good, and the hammer trick worked.

Edit:

You are talking about the big stainless bolt that holds the handlepole to the handlepole bracket? It is not threaded into the bracket, it is a tight tolerance fit though.

yes, the big long bolt!! I have whacked that bolt really hard with a mallet, and it still doesnt budge!?

Patentcad

Well ain't that cute?
Well I chiseled the washer off the threaded side of the bolt. That revealed the bushing? it looks plastic, so could i just melt the bushing off?

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
so is the bolt threaded into the bracket on a sn?

no it is not. thats why they use two nuts on the threaded end of the bolt.

the bolt simply slides through both holes on the SN bracket. more heat and a bigger hammer/wrench and it will come out.

EDIT: on the RN SJ it is threaded into the bracket.

Last edited:

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
A mechanic friend of mine showed me to use an air chisel with a blunt tool and to just "rattle" on stubborn nuts and bolts. The vibrations did wonders to break things loose.

Top Bottom