Harbor Freignt Tool thread

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
Harbor Freight has given me access to tools that if bought off the tool truck or in a store would cost a lot more.How l decide to buy tools is based on how often they get used.lf l use them daily then l go with something good.lf it's just a few times a year,then off to HF.
I use the tools l buy from there for building up hulls.Clamps (got about 40 of them at last count),Grinders,da's,etc

What tools have you had a good experience with and would recommend, also what have been bad experiences with and wouldn't recommend?​
What has been one thing you have purchased at Harbor Freight that you got a ridiculously good deal on and how do you get the best deal?​
What do use the tools for?

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
Whenever I need a new tool for a task, I buy Harbor Freight. If I use that tool enough to break or wear it out, then I buy a nice one. All my HF tools are still going strong.
I like their impact driver, angle grinder and flex shaft grinder.

smoofers

Rockin' the SQUARE!!!!
Site Supporter
I have slowed on buying HF tools ever since their prices started increasing a few years ago. A good bit of the HF stuff that used to be a good deal can now be had at Lowes or Home Depot for a similar price. That being said, I'm still using a HF 90 grinder, and portable band saw. The band saw uses Milwaukee blades and is a champ, would definitely recommend. Also have one of their hydraulic press models (20 ton I think) that has been invaluable.

I've been using Walmart Hyper Tough tools, great for fiberglass/carbon work ( didn't want to waste my $100 Ridgid ). Run em hard , toss em when they burn up. I'm actually still on my original vibra tool, $18, great for scraping mats, cutting glass and carbon. I just use a Bosch blade with it. Another plus if your a regular @Walmart tool section, you always find crap like this:
DSC02529.JPG
$5 a piece, I may never use em, but at that price...

Last edited:
Their $20 sawzall has been great. I bought a dewalt once and the blade release broke before I got the first blade in it. The harbour freight saw has a heavy duty (feeling) twist type release. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a hydrolic press today

1/2" earthquake air impact is a great bargain. We've had a handful of kids on the luberack at work pick them up and run the crap out of them. No issues yet.

1/2 impact sockets are great for the $20. No need to spend the extra 10 for professional IMO. I've used mine for 5 years mon-fri and only have had 1 crack (smashing it onto swollen lugs with a sledge).

Yellow composite prytools are awesome. Blue ones are worthless in my opinion.

Between me and dad we have a few 4" disc CP angle grinders. One of them I've had for probably 15years. All Still work perfect.

The cheapest Electric dremel they have is worthless.

1/4" CP 90degree air die grinder they have is pretty decent. Have had to locktite a few things on it I've the few years but still going. I use it every day as well.

Steering wheel puller has been great so far, use it for all my flywheels on skis and sleds.

I think the HF Dremel is garbage-

But the most recent electric handheld detail sander has been very smooth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Try Walmart's HyperTough Dremel, under $25, I've run the crap out of it, the only problem is the speed adjust started to melt, but it still works.
I have slowed on buying HF tools ever since their prices started increasing a few years ago. A good bit of the HF stuff that used to be a good deal can now be had at Lowes or Home Depot for a similar price. That being said, I'm still using a HF 90 grinder, and portable band saw. The band saw uses Milwaukee blades and is a champ, would definitely recommend. Also have one of their hydraulic press models (20 ton I think) that has been invaluable.
Second that on sources for cheap tools. I would buy 4 1/2" grinders 4 at a time ( hated changing from wire, to flappy to cutoff), 3 would burn up almost immediately, 1 would seem to last forever . I think I was payin $18 a piece @ HF. For a little more ($25 a piece) I started buyin Ryobis @ Home Depot. And I only had to buy 4 one time. For sacrificial tools though ( fiberglass/carbon grinding cutting) you can't beat Walmart HyperTough.

I've been buying large hamsters from petco, next door to harbor freight. I've taken HF wire and tool magnets, and built a flux capacitor. Using a tractor supply cow feed ring, turned on edge, with some home depot aluminum sheets, turning on a lowes trailer axle, I let the hamsters loose. They keep it moving around 1345rpm, which is just enough for time travel. Average electric motor is 1725 or so. I use some garbage chevy u joints to run an old skool line shaft. When my harbor freight stuff gives up the ghost, I break out the big red rubber bands, running off varmint power. Actually has WAY more torque. Just don't let go. That rubber band will moon shot your tools.
If I could only train them to mix drinks....

I've been buying large hamsters from petco, next door to harbor freight. I've taken HF wire and tool magnets, and built a flux capacitor. Using a tractor supply cow feed ring, turned on edge, with some home depot aluminum sheets, turning on a lowes trailer axle, I let the hamsters loose. They keep it moving around 1345rpm, which is just enough for time travel. Average electric motor is 1725 or so. I use some garbage chevy u joints to run an old skool line shaft. When my harbor freight stuff gives up the ghost, I break out the big red rubber bands, running off varmint power. Actually has WAY more torque. Just don't let go. That rubber band will moon shot your tools.
If I could only train them to mix drinks....

Drugs

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
My best buy at HF was a set of left hand drill bits. https://www.harborfreight.com/catal...eatured+Weight,f,Sale+Rank,f&q=left+drill+bit

For under $10 they got some screws out and saved a crusty set of 44 Mikunis. I have also used the heat gun I got there quite a bit and always keep a box of 7 mil nitrile gloves around. Thinking a bout getting one of these grinders and trying some home porting. https://www.harborfreight.com/flexible-shaft-grinder-and-carver-40432.html

I've ported many engines with one of these, just keep the cable lubed.

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
I've bought Dremel's for years.Great product.But I've destroyed most of them.The company has alway been great replacing them.Just had to pay shipping.l keep two on hand

My HF angle grinder is a champ.But l have another small straight shaft one that messed up after using it a couple hours.l took the safety off the trigger so that screwed me on the warranty.Just need to go by another

The rule around my family is if the hazardous freight tool is electric or pneumatic wear welding gloves. I actually have a lot of harbor freight tools. Most are fairly good but some are great and others suck. Their 115pc cobalt drill bit set is far better than I would have thought, it drills through even stainless steel fairly easy. The flex head long handle ratchets are also better than expected. The flex heads do tend to get loose, but I have never broken the ratchet mechanism....including the 1/2" drive that I was using with a 6' cheater bar on it. Their sockets (both impact and regular) seem to be just fine. I have their 3.5 amp electric cutout tool item#42831 which is nearly worthless for its intended purpose, but does make a good electric die grinder...till the cord flexes a few times, breaks a conductor, sends sparks out all over your hands and arms....good thing I had the welding gloves on. My brother also had an inline air sander that blew the piston through the end of the tool and across the garage, yes it was used below their recommended max pressure.

Top Bottom