Hauling skis in an enclosed trailer.

I'm getting ready to retro fit my enclosed car trailer to camp and haul skis. I will probably be hauling a gen 1 x2, gen 2 x2 and a blaster 1. I'd love some tips from people that have done this before and curious what your set up is to secure them and loading/ unloading. I have one beach cart I was going to use to get them in and out of the trailer, my idea for securing them was to put E track down and have stands in the trailer that secure to the e track and either secure the skis to the stands or the e track itself? Love to know other people's thoughts and ideas!

Mike W

Infidel
Like BK suggested, 2x4 bunks down the sides with tie downs for front and bows and sterns of the skis. Position the skis for max room to move around and storage. Hopefully someone will post pictures so you have a visual.

Put a winch in the trailer or get one with barn doors. Its surprisingly tiring to roll skis into the trailer after a long day of riding
I went through a few iterations on my trailer - i tried having bunks built into the trailer and keeping the skis on carts and strapping them down. With the ramp door I preferred having the skis on their own carts more than dealing with sliding them onto bunks

Jr.

Standing Tall
Staff member
Site Supporter
Barn doors are the key, no lifting. Cart is same height, one man job, easy to slide in.
factory zero cart breaks down and hangs on doors. Loft bed above skiis
This is my rig. 7x14 ATG Photo is from when it was first built
has worked perfect for my needs.

Attachments

• IMG_2619.jpeg
    IMG_2619.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 78

E350

Site Supporter
I put E Track on the floor of my wife's jet ski trailer so I could move or remove the bunks if we needed. So, if I were to convert an enclosed trailer, I would install E Track on the floor for the bunks:

1727280346388.png

I keep improving my jet ski trailer. It wants to be this with electric brakes when it grows up. You can't have a davit on an enclosed trailer:

1727280745529.png

Last edited:

E350

Site Supporter
Yes! It is a crane davit. I snipped a picture of that trailer when it was listed on craigslist years' ago.
It is ingenious in that the top bunks are spaced such that you can put two skis side by side or one ski in the center. I have other photos of the davit and it is electric.

I couldn't afford or justify buying that trailer at the time. But I do a little welding on my trailers and that design is my ultimate goal along with e-brakes controlled by an in-cab brake controller. (Notice that that trailer has hydraulic brakes actuated by the receiver.)

My buddy who is a diver, has a custom aluminum davit on his dive boat. He powers his with a Harbor Freight ATV electric winch.
Soon, I will be trying to learn how to weld aluminum.

1728067480807.png

Could be repurposed but too heavy and not electric:

1728068221598.png

Last edited:
our enclosed trailer is 8.5X16 is is laid out that u can either have 3 bunks (removable next to each other) or 2 place small trailer and a motorcycle, or 2 place small trailer and one bunk.

Everything can be removed or altered, the best option is that u can place the samll 2 place trailer for 2 standups in the trailer inside for the longer trips and then just use the small trailer once arrived at destination. Furthermore all bunks can be removed that the space is all open , the bunks mount up on the trailer inside walls.

We built all from wood but aluminum would have been my choice but lack of money and a good welder

The front interior consist of shelves and a workbench in the middle that also can be folded up if the space is used otherwise....

If you would like to see images send me a pm and I will be happy to share...

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Just getting mine setup.
PVC slides on ramp and floor. Been using rachet straps to keep the ramp at beach cart height. Will install some adjustable fold up stands on the ramp shortly. Will have a fold up bed on the side.View attachment 451769View attachment 451770View attachment 451771
This is why I hate enclosed trailer with Ramp Doors! Our first trailer was a 6x10 with Barn Doors....... Super easy to load. We had a double stack rack built, could hall 4 ski's. (SXR's on bottom and SJ's on top.), Then we upgraded to an 8x16 with Ramp..... No More easy loading!!!!!!!!!

This is why I hate enclosed trailer with Ramp Doors! Our first trailer was a 6x10 with Barn Doors....... Super easy to load. We had a double stack rack built, could hall 4 ski's. (SXR's on bottom and SJ's on top.), Then we upgraded to an 8x16 with Ramp..... No More easy loading!!!!!!!!!
If I was only loading skis, I agree with you.
I use this trailer for storing and hauling my zero turn mower, 4-wheeler, dirtbikes, pressure washer and other equipment that offsets the sliding of the ski on the ramp. The PVC slides are very easy to pull in and push out the ski. If I'm on a slope I have a winch on my beach cart and I mounted a pipe in the front of the trailer that I can hook a winch to.
One day if I get a dedicated trailer for sleeping and skis, I probably will go with barn doors (or a toy hauler like you). Until then, I still need the overall utility that the ramp provides...
When will your knee be ready for surf riding?

Big Kahuna

Administrator
If I was only loading skis, I agree with you.
I use this trailer for storing and hauling my zero turn mower, 4-wheeler, dirtbikes, pressure washer and other equipment that offsets the sliding of the ski on the ramp. The PVC slides are very easy to pull in and push out the ski. If I'm on a slope I have a winch on my beach cart and I mounted a pipe in the front of the trailer that I can hook a winch to.
One day if I get a dedicated trailer for sleeping and skis, I probably will go with barn doors (or a toy hauler like you). Until then, I still need the overall utility that the ramp provides...
When will your knee be ready for surf riding?
I wish my Toyhauler had barn doors!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom