SX/SXi/SXi Pro Have you ever had this"

New at posting with pics so I apologize....I bought this ski last fall for 350 bucks and the kid said the motor was locked up and had been for a year or so, and it was locked right up couldnt turn by hand or channelocks, I was expecting the worst, but when I tore the motor apart the pistons and cylinders looked great. I split the case anyways,and the bearings and crank all looked new as well so I put he case back together with 2 bolts flipped it over and walla it was not froze up anymore...so I assembled it and am hoping to try to fire it soon.
My question is did I just get lucky? There are no signs inside of ever locking up, and this isn't the first 750 I've torn apart, but is the first time I've ever ran into this, it seemed like a good deal with a smoked motor now it really seems to good to be true if not..any experiences like this?

92sx.jpg92sxmotor.jpg

Last edited:
Nope this was with the motor sitting on the bench, trying to turn the motor over with no plugs in it by turning the drive coupler, and it was locked tight..then I tore it down and did nothing because it looked so clean inside. put it all back together and its fine. Like I said there is not even a mark on the cylinder walls, pistons, or down by the crank. I am really hoping I just got lucky

Sounds awesome but being a mechanic I would still want to know why it was locked up. Maybe something stuck in a port that fell out when you took it apart?

Ok, after tearing apart again to double check I got frustrated after finding nothing and decided to slap it together and check for compression. With it on the bench touching the starter leads to the battery and no pipe or carbs on, pretty much as seen in the picture but out of the ski, its 140psi front and 140 psi back. My plan is to bolt it back in and put carbs and an old coffmans pipe I have had laying around on this weekend and see what happens. wish me luck and I will let you all know how it turns out, even if it goes up in smoke and flames......thanks for all the input

Top Bottom