helicoils and timeserts?

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
ballpark, what does the KIT cost, and does it come with the proper tools?

is a drill press required?

Bingo.
Thank you Charles.

I have installed both Helicoils and Timeserts.
I will go with Timeserts EVERY time in critical applications (cylinder being one of them).
Use the right tools, read the f'n instructions, and take your time.

Alternatively, swallow your pride and pay a shop twenty bucks to do it.

crammit442

makin' legs
the 3 of eight that pulled out, Charles. they were helicoils and were hard to deal with?

did you mismatch terms? or am I simply not following your logic here.

Timeserts work fine when they are installed properly. Helicoils are easier to install properly and also work very well. An added benefit to helicoils is that they are easily removeable if there is a problem. I got a 760 cylinder from a popular builder on this site a couple of years ago that he had used timeserts on. Three of eight pulled out of the cylinder and it was a MAJOR pain in the ass to deal with. If a so-called "pro" can't get it right it stands to reason the average weekend wrench may have issues with them. A lot of guys here are not very experienced and many have difficulty with even very basic mechanical techniques.

That help?:scratchchin:

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
ballpark, what does the KIT cost, and does it come with the proper tools?

is a drill press required?

The entire kit is a bit over $100. You do not need the kit. You simply need the stainless timeserts of proper size, and the countersink bit..
The entire kit is a drill bit, a countersink bit, a tap, and some standard carbon steel timeserts.

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
I can see it might be a pain to drill the countersink straight by hand.

Ill try the helicoils if they give me problems, Ill do something else, likely drill out the manifold.

Watty

Random Performance
They can, yes, but it's not the preferred method!

Just make sure you don't get any junk in or around the pistons, and try to drill as straight as possible.

I like to use a milling mahine, but not everyone has access to one. I like to get a tube with a nice straight end on it, centre it over the hole and then drill. This way you cn see how close to centre you are. Once you have the old thread drilled out, the rest is easy, ie....counter bore and insert fitting.

PS.....when you are ready to put the insert in, get a bolt nd run it up and down the thred of the cylinder a few times, otherwise the insert can get caught up and not bottom out properly....then you have to level the top of it to get the head back on!

stanton

High on jetskis.
99% of the parts i make that call out an sti thread it is for a stainless helicoil. the insert install uses a primer to seal it all together. i have no doubt if its in a titanium part going to mars its going to be really reliable.
the better the install, the better the insert.

dajnglst

Glass Happens
If you have tap and die kits you can make your own stainless time serts without rolled lip to get them deep in cases. Have done a few here, just can't make them longer than 8 mm's or so before the threads stretch out, not allowing them to get deep enough in threads.

Honda motorcycles use some queer 9mm head bolts. The case hole for the head bolts is bored at like 11.5 and I was in a pinch. From there after having stainless plumbing pipe turned on a lathe inserts were quick work.

A heck of a lot cheaper than the what became worthless kit I purchased.

So if I was to go the route of a helicoil, what would be the proper size for the cylinder head bolt holes?

Also, are helicoils in that size something that usually can be picked up at a local store?

Went searching today for the helicoils and tools to fix my cylinder. Found everything I needed at a local auto parts store. Went through the process of repairing it and so far everything is holding good! It was a relatively simple thing to fix. I have some really nice Irwin drill bits that cut like butter through the aluminum cylinder and after that the tapping and installing the helicoil was simple. This place is great because of all this awesome info! Thanks!

what size or part number should i buy from timesert.com if i am trying to reduce the bolt size down from 10mm to 8mm on the 62t exhaust side bolts??

Does anyone know the thread pitch of the 8mm exhaust bolt holes on the 61x cylinder?

Also does anyone know the thread pitch of the 10mm exhaust bolt holes on the 62t/64x cylinder?

If I can get those, I can call timeserts and see if they offer an insert that has the outer thread pitch equal to the 10mm with an internal thread pitch equal to the 8mm...

LUCKED out!!! The timeserts I ordered have the external threads of the 62t with the internal threads of the 61x! The 760 (62t Cylinder) exhaust manifold bolt holes are 10mm diameter by 1.25 thread pitch (M10x1.25) and the 701 (61x cylinder) has 8mm diameter by 1.25 thread pitch (M8x1.25). Which is exactly what the inserts come as!!! WooHooo!

I ordered the timeserts part #181224, these are the stainless ones... 20mm long. Inserts where $2.55 ea plus shipping.

Going to go chase the cylinder threads and install these puppies!

Top Bottom