Helmet weights

Proformance1

Liquid Insanity
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
I just bought the 661 Evolution Legend, very nice helmet, but it is the heaviest one I own. I'm wondering how it will feel wet. Anyone else using this helmet? Just wondering if it holds more water than the others? Here are the weigh in results.

First is the 661 Evolution Legend 2lbs 6.4 ozs
Second is the 661 Comp 2lbs 4.9 ozs
Third is the Bell Bellistic 1lb 15.4 ozs
The Bell doesn't have the visor so it would be heavier if it were on, maybe 2 ozs.

Attachments

• DSC03220.jpg
    DSC03220.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC03218.jpg
    DSC03218.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC03219.jpg
    DSC03219.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

StandupEd

Eddie would Tow
Last edited:

Waternut

Customizing addict
MTB helmets may soak up more water but when it gets hot in the summer, the water that drips and sprays in your face makes wearing the helmet tolerable.

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
I bought a LaCrosse helmet. Had to cut some of the face cage bars out for visibility reasons, but the holes throughout make it empty quick and it's comfy.
Some of the full-face bike helmets (w/o visor) can still let you get a pole in the face.

WAB

salty nuts
I have a DOT dirtbike helmet and a downhill mountain bike helmet. The MTB helmet is MUCH lighter and does not hold as much water, but I'd rather take a headshot when wearing the DOT dirtbike one.
I can tell the heavier helmet makes my neck sore.

Proformance1

Liquid Insanity
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
I think Xeon and E Rok Wilbs are rocking the 661 carbon ones. I'll see if we can get a dry weight. The MTB helmets will hold some water, but they are mostly styrofoam inside.

skinnyman

YOU CANT RENT MY SKI
I have been looking for the 661 carbon bravo helmet for the last 2 months
Its last year model cany find it in a med
If some -one runs accross one let me know

I think Xeon and E Rok Wilbs are rocking the 661 carbon ones. I'll see if we can get a dry weight. The MTB helmets will hold some water, but they are mostly styrofoam inside.

Hmm.. I have that exact helmet, 661 Brava carbon, so does MadMat. It is VERY light, but I don't have any scales, sorry guys. I love it though for what it's worth.

Waternut

Customizing addict
One thing to consider with the hard foam based helmets... Hard foam like bicycle helmets are designed to split when impacted. It helps absorb the blow which is good but it's also a one hit wonder. I don't know about everyone else but my helmet has taken a couple blows. Sure beats taking a blow directly to the head but I'd rather not have to buy a new helmet every time the ski hits my helmet. Not to mention if you have to order a new helmet, you'll be with nothing for a week or two.

One thing to consider with the hard foam based helmets... Hard foam like bicycle helmets are designed to split when impacted. It helps absorb the blow which is good but it's also a one hit wonder. I don't know about everyone else but my helmet has taken a couple blows. Sure beats taking a blow directly to the head but I'd rather not have to buy a new helmet every time the ski hits my helmet. Not to mention if you have to order a new helmet, you'll be with nothing for a week or two.

Never thought of that.. I know you replace a street bike helmet every time it touches the ground, but I look at that to be more of a serious deal than this. I know we take some pretty hard hits, but I think my helmet is still just fine. If it hit the highway doing 35mph, I'm sure it would need replacing.

Woody

Need to save my money!!
although i look like a tool wearing it, i use this one. Lightest I've seen yet, 99% styrofoam (except for a piece of turf i put into the front of it to tighten it up), and does not affect any vision. Its a kayaking helmet: http://www.kayakshed.com/cascade/cascade-kayak-helmets-full-cut-face-mask

helmet-cascd-blk-grd_300.jpg

the one pitfall to this...is that it clearly states on the back do not use for any motorsports lol. i don't see how a jetski falling out of the sky from 15 feet could be seen as a motorsport...right? :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
Most hits are not hard impacts or are glansing blows. Dot type helmets for freeride are way overkill.

Top Bottom