Help 650SX Engine wont run and other issues

I have a 1989 650sx with a sbn44 and a west coast pipe. I can get it started with the primer but It wont stay running unless I prime it. I have not run it in about 2 years so the carb may need to be cleaned to fix this problem.

The second issue is that there is an oily substance that is coming out of the exhaust. I have no idea what this might be from? So any suggestions would be great.

Lastly, The pisser is only dribbling water out of it. For the short period of time that I can get it running it doesn't seem to be over heating but there is not nearly as much water coming out as there was with the stock exhaust setup.

Thank you for your suggestions in advance.

Midlake Crisis

Site Supporter
One easy to overlook item is to make sure you have a perfect tight connection with the pulse line.
Other than that think compression, spark, fuel, and test for each accordingly.

Dont they have a external fuel pump? Could try pulling the line of going to the carb and see if its moving fuel.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I have a 1989 650sx with a sbn44 and a west coast pipe. I can get it started with the primer but It wont stay running unless I prime it. I have not run it in about 2 years so the carb may need to be cleaned to fix this problem.

The second issue is that there is an oily substance that is coming out of the exhaust. I have no idea what this might be from? So any suggestions would be great.

Lastly, The pisser is only dribbling water out of it. For the short period of time that I can get it running it doesn't seem to be over heating but there is not nearly as much water coming out as there was with the stock exhaust setup.

Thank you for your suggestions in advance.

The oil from the exhaust is the oil left behind when fuel evaporates. It will go away with some running.

It only runs when primed because it's not getting fuel from the carbs. You've already recognized that, so take them apart, clean them, test them and put it back on. Be sure to clean the fuel tank and fuel lines before trying to run it again to get all the varnish out. Replace the fuel filter. You should probably just rebuild the carb but if you choose not to, be sure to open up the fuel pump side and check the internal filter.

Modern fuels tend to congeal into goop in a fairly short time frame. Strip your carb/s and you'll probably find a jelly-like substance lurking within. Clean all with carb cleaner and compressed air. Ensure fuel lines are clear as well as any filters, fuel pumps and fuel tank.

Thank you guys for all the suggestions. I have been super busy lately but will clean the carbs out soon and give an update. Does any one have any suggestions for the pisser pressure being so low?

Top Bottom