***HELP*** Broke EZout in case...

SXR-FOREVER

Finally Flippin
Went to change my battery out on the SXR when it was on the lift and saw that the front right (carb side) case bolt was gone. So I took my cylinder off to get a better look and saw it was broken. Soaked it with some penetrating stuff and drilled out the center, put the EZout in and gave it a litte turn and SNAP. Now what the hell can I do!? gone through 4 cobalt bits on it and nothing will drill into it. ...

Help??

DAG

Yes, my balls tickled from that landing
your EZ out is HSS, find you a bit that can drill through it. drill at ~3000-6000rpm and take your time. dont press to hard. but that being said your risking another EZ out breaking...

a shop will beable to get it out.

also have a pic of it? any of it at all sticking out? or flush with the top of the case? or snaped off deep inside the case?

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
It snapped off in a blind hole, he took it to a reputable shop and the said the easiest (and cheapest) way for THEM to get it out would be to grind off the corner of the case so they can get better access to it then rebuild it with a weld.

AlbanyMotorsports

Cru is Rad
Its more than likely fixable. Some shops have a machine (not sure what it is called) that is basically like a sonicare toothbrush. They can actually break the ez out into little pieces and it will come out. I just had the shop next door fix a tap that I broke off inside an insert. Not guaranteed but ive had great success with it.

Q

QuickMick

get someone to heliarc a small bolt to the ezout that will give you something to pull that thing out with.
I find the best way to get a broken bolt out of aluminum is to heliarc a smaller bolt to the broken bolt. I showed a friend just yesterday a small bolt I still had in my too box that I heliarced a piece of metal to to get it out.

It can be done if its not way down in the hole..

Metal4130

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Groove
I broke off a thread chaser in my gp1200 case once. Take it to a machine shop that can do plunge EDM. They got it out without even slightly ruining the threads. Cost me 25 bucks

LBE

Eddie Would Go.
I posted about 3 weeks ago about a broken tap in my cases. I was dreading the cost of going to a machine shop. I ruined several drill bits and invented new cuss words tryong to get it out.

Took it to a local auto machine shop that specializes in cyl heads (just happened to be a close shop that I knew did machine work). The guy took a look at it and said "no problem, $35." I asked how long it would take (I figured a week). He said come back in 2 hours!

STOAKED!!

It is not worth the hastle to mess with. It was the best $35 I spent on the motor. My vote: machine shop.

KR

www.krlines.com
I posted about 3 weeks ago about a broken tap in my cases. I was dreading the cost of going to a machine shop. I ruined several drill bits and invented new cuss words tryong to get it out.

Took it to a local auto machine shop that specializes in cyl heads (just happened to be a close shop that I knew did machine work). The guy took a look at it and said "no problem, $35." I asked how long it would take (I figured a week). He said come back in 2 hours!

STOAKED!!

It is not worth the hastle to mess with. It was the best $35 I spent on the motor. My vote: machine shop.

i know im killing the thread, but eddie, what bike did you get?

yeah mate take it to a toolmaker or find a machine shop with an EDM/Sparkeroder they'll burn the ezout & bolt out for you in no time it is the safest way. If you still want to have a crack at it get a good masonary drill (ARTU if you can get them) in a drill press if possible 1000rpm and only drill for 2-3seconds at a time then let the bit cool down and DON'T use any coolant or lube, but be warned if you break the carbide tip off one of these in there your pretty much f@*%)d.

Cheers
Matty

Waternut

Customizing addict
If the guy at the machine shop ends up enlarging the hole, just use a helicoil. Helicoils require the hole to be larger anyway. Just an option if something goes wrong....

Top Bottom