Other Help - install bilge and a few other questions

Ok I am new to stand up jetskis and generally ignorant when it comes to mechanics and fiberglass so please forgive me. I just got a 2001 SJ RN Totally stock and in good shape. I would like to install a bilge and I just received a YAMAHA 701 SUPER JET WAVE BLASTER RUNNER BILGE PUMP KIT 94-up

!CDBPfMwEWk~$(KGrHqYOKo8E0U767h4dBNNJ+lSCKQ~~_12.JPG

I am very dissapointed with the installation instructions it came with... I was hoping for MUCH MORE DETAILED instructions. Can anyone help with instalation? I need the "installation for dummies guide" LOL :) ...What is the clear hose for? how do I run the on off switch wire down into the motor compartment? Do I drill the space in the rubber plug for the wire to go into the enginge area? Where does the bracket mount for the pump? How do i mount it? will it interfere with the existing stock gravity feed system? how and where do I drill the hull? size type of bit? drill in or out? any special precautions? Do i need to use a sealant around the billet hose fitting and the hull? In the wiring the instructions say install 2 1/2 amp fuse between positive on battery and control switch but none is provided... how do i do that? is it really necessary? how do i make sure all wire connections are waterproof? How do i keep t on off swith mounted in the billet houseing glue or does it just fit in there tight enough? How do i keep the wire from flopping around on the stock steering ... I am in need of detailed help - I am willing to learn but just don't have much experience in mechanicing, electronics or fiberglass...

Also how do I fix the "dings" in the hull/ what type of fiberglass is it? what do i need to fix it and how do I do it? I think the pictures make the dings look worse than they really are. Wher can I buy what i need to fix the dings?

Any help is appreciated

2013-01-29_09-24-10_391.jpg2013-01-29_09-25-37_457.jpg2013-01-29_09-23-43_265.jpg2013-01-29_09-23-56_314.jpg2013-01-29_09-27-21_376.jpg2013-01-16_07-50-19_299.jpg

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Ok I am new to stand up jetskis and generally ignorant when it comes to mechanics and fiberglass so please forgive me. I just got a 2001 SJ RN Totally stock and in good shape. I would like to install a bilge and I just received a YAMAHA 701 SUPER JET WAVE BLASTER RUNNER BILGE PUMP KIT 94-up

I am very dissapointed with the installation instructions it came with... I was hoping for MUCH MORE DETAILED instructions. Can anyone help with instalation? I need the "installation for dummies guide" LOL :) ...What is the clear hose for? how do I run the on off switch wire down into the motor compartment? Do I drill the space in the rubber plug for the wire to go into the enginge area? Where does the bracket mount for the pump? How do i mount it? will it interfere with the existing stock gravity feed system? how and where do I drill the hull? size type of bit? drill in or out? any special precautions? Do i need to use a sealant around the billet hose fitting and the hull? In the wiring the instructions say install 2 1/2 amp fuse between positive on battery and control switch but none is provided... how do i do that? is it really necessary? how do i make sure all wire connections are waterproof? How do i keep t on off swith mounted in the billet houseing glue or does it just fit in there tight enough? How do i keep the wire from flopping around on the stock steering ... I am in need of detailed help - I am willing to learn but just don't have much experience in mechanicing, electronics or fiberglass...

Remove the Ebox. (if the ebox wont come off the bracket, you can remove the dash and unbolt the bracket from the back, I had to do this)
Remove the coupler cover
Unscrew the stock bilge, but do not remove it.
Remove the 2 bolts applicable to your bilge bracket.
Inspect everything while you are in there.
Put the blue strainer backer into the bracket from the bottom.
Bolt on the bracket with the bilge strainer in place
Attach the stock bilge to the new bracket
Clip the new bilge onto the strainer

Decide where you want to put your bilge outlet.
Think about this placement long and hard.
Plan where you are going to run your bilge hose from the bilge to the outlet.
Think about it more.
Plan more.
Check your placement again.
Tape off the place where you are going to put your bilge outlet with masking tape or similar.
Find the correct sized hole saw so the threads of the bilge outlet just barely slide in
check your placement, your hoses, etc
Check your hole saw/drill
Check it again.
Drill your hole. drill SLOW, do NOT push the drill as it goes through the inside of the hull. Go slow or it can splinter.
I hope you checked everything...
Connect your bilge hose to your bilge outlet

Run the bilge switch wire down the bars. A straightened coat hanger to pull a string through. Then use the string to pull the wires through.
Connect the black wire on the bilge to one of the wire on the switch
Connect the other switch wire to the battery
connect the red wire on the bilge to a fuse
connect the fuse to the battery

Test

reinstall all parts removed

ProSouth

Seriously, Don't be a dick.
Those dings aren't the worst, looks like just the gel coat came off in one area. I believe the clear hose is for the bilge outlet, and possibly the black hose goes over it for heat protection...? If you go to an auto store you can find a fuse "kit". And you just solder it in line or use appropriate connectors. Some that have heat shrink on them. You can keep the wires tucked away from the bars with the zip ties provided. Don't be scared to dive in. Even a simple YouTube vid on electrical connectors could help. Good luck

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!

I am very dissapointed with the installation instructions it came with... I was hoping for MUCH MORE DETAILED instructions. Can anyone help with instalation? I need the "installation for dummies guide" LOL :) ...

What is the clear hose for?
Not sure. The larger black hose is for the bilge to outlet.

how do I run the on off switch wire down into the motor compartment?
Straighten a coat hanger. Shove it down the pole. Use it to pull some yard or similar down the pole. Tie to the end opposite of the switch. Pull it down the pole. It will be tight and tough. When you get it down the pole, shove it through one of the openings in the stock rubber boot with another wire.

Do I drill the space in the rubber plug for the wire to go into the enginge area?
No. Cramp it in with another wire.

Where does the bracket mount for the pump?
To the through hull bearing. Once you remove the ebox and coupler cover, it's pretty obvious.

How do i mount it?
It's self explanatory. It uses the bolts on the bearing housing. It goes b/t the bolts and the housing.

will it interfere with the existing stock gravity feed system?
No. The little screw there is for the stock system. It is pretty freaking hard to get the screw out of the stock bilge. I had to remove my motor (had it out to replace my bearing housing anyway) to get it out with an impact driver. It's pretty self explanitory

how and where do I drill the hull?
You have to decide. Different people put them different places. Look at pictures of SJs with them and pick a spot. It's self explanitory. Pick a spot that makes it easy to install the line where it's out of your way.

size type of bit?
Not sure. Use a hole saw that connects to a drill. I think it's 3/4" but I am not sure. Check the bit to the size of the threads on the outlet. The hole should be the same size as the threads.

drill in or out?
Drill from the outside in.

any special precautions?
Make sure you don't drill the hole in the wrong spot. Plan it out and do it right the 1st time. It's not very complicated. Not a lot to mess up.

Do i need to use a sealant around the billet hose fitting and the hull?
Not necessary, wont hurt

In the wiring the instructions say install 2 1/2 amp fuse between positive on battery and control switch but none is provided... how do i do that?
Buy a fuse and install it inline b/t the one line and battery. I put mine on the positive side.

is it really necessary?
No, but if the bilge overloads, it can catch your ski on fire. It happens infrequently, but it has happened.

how do i make sure all wire connections are waterproof?
Use the shrink wrap style connectors. Shove dielectric grease into it and heat from the outside in so it pushes the grease into the connection. Silicone is best for this, but I usually don't have extra silicone out because it dries up in the tube. But if you have it out, silicone works best.

How do i keep t on off swith mounted in the billet houseing glue or does it just fit in there tight enough?
Fits in there pretty tight. If you get annoyed with it poping out, shove some glue in it.

How do i keep the wire from flopping around on the stock steering ...
Zip tie it

See the red. If you remove the e-box and the coupler cover, and look at it some, you can answer most of your questions. It's a very simple job,

Last edited:

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!

Repairing that damage can get very very complicated if you do it right. I would discourage you from getting too crazy with that. The proper way to repair that would be to grind out all of the damage, and repair it from the inside, which would require you to cut out the tray... etc etc. No good. Don't do that.

I would just sand lightly the one big damaged area so they are clean (picture 4). Fill it with a mixture of epoxy and cabolsil. Sand it smooth. You might want to do the same with picture one. The epoxy/cabolsil will not add much if any strength. It's like a bandaid. Don't sand or grind very much. Just enough to clean it up, unless you want to make a big fiberglass patch, which you do not.

Thank you all so much for the help. I am just about done with the bilge install. I have not been able to find a 2 1/2 amp fuse to put in the line though. Anyone know where i can find that? all auto parts stores around here don't have anything and I can't find online either. That is what the bilge pump wiring directions call for ... Can I / should I use a different size? - Also WHERE can I find the "mixture of epoxy and cabolsil" for repair /bandaid on the hull?

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
You don't find a mix of epoxy and cabosil.

Epoxy is a 2-part mixture. You buy the base and activator together and mix them. For that small job you can probably just get the tube in the paint area of Home Depot by the other glues. Marine epoxy would be best but unless you are doing another job, buying the excess is a waste.

The cabosil is fluffy and makes the epoxy thicker to it does run.
Glass microspheres are super tiny glass beads that are easier to sand than other thickeners.

You can use just the microspheres but its harder to get the right consistency with just the microspheres.

The epoxy has a shelf life so try not to buy more than you need. Just to fill in those areas will take very little.

The cabosil and microspheres don't have any shelf life so if you have too much you can just save it for later.

Just mix the epoxy, add the filler until you get the consistency you like. Spread it on with a plastic scraper. Wait for it to mostly dry and sand to shape. Like 12-24 hrs of drying time. It needs to dry long enough so that it doesn't come apart while you sand it, but the longer it dries the harder it gets to sand.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Buy a fuse on ebay. Just run it w/o a fuse until your part shows up. Don't leave stuff in your hull to jam the bilge. I have popped fuses before so I do know you want to get them installed eventually.

I've been getting mine from autoZone. They work ok. Put dielectric greAse in the holder so it lasts longer

What are the possible concerns with where I place the outlet (aside from the obvious of not too low)? ....Where is your bilge outlet and why? I plan on putting mine on the port side as high in the engine compartment as possible and as close to the tray as possible. ...that sound about right?

motoman3000

ride
Site Supporter
Thats a good spot, I have the same with no interference.
IMG_0116.jpg
* notice bilge outlet top left corner of pic, next to bulkhead.

In your case for those small dings try marine-tex. its white, sandable, and available at the local marine shop

Resurrecting this thread. Does anyone have a quick pic of where the billet bilge mount goes. Midshaft is what I was told. A quick pic would be awesome.

Where do most run the outlet? On the port rear? Thanks

motoman3000

ride
Site Supporter
That type of mount I believe gets sandwiched when u install your midshaft housing on bulkhead - drill the outlet in your hull as close and sano as possible. You can buy the discharge hose any length at a marine store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the outlet is high on the port side near the rear of the engine compartment?

Jetmaniac sent me a pic of the midshaft. I am sure I can figure it out. I was just thinking that a pic would be helpful

motoman3000

ride
Site Supporter
Ha , my skis r hibernating now as am I. I'll try to xplain.
The midshaft is aft of your engine against a "wall " in your engine bay. 3 screws hold that bearing to the ski. That bilge holder needs to be behind one of the lower screws ( mind you I've never used one but know the concept) to hold it. This midshaft transfers power from the impeller to your engine.
I would prob loosen all if em and remove the mounting one so the bracket could slip in.
Any more info needed pm me
655fca3dfba5df5012488481d17097fc.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom