300/440/550 Help Newbie -- 1993 550sx starter? Flywheel? problem

I have a new to me 1993 550sx. It runs great. I've run it a bunch of times. I was told when I got it that it had a new flywheel on it ( The guy said he didn't know why the old one was getting chewed up but he put a new one on it. ) It is supposed to have a new starter on it too. It seems that there is a problem though. every once in awhile it will get finicky and not want to engage the starter. After thinking about it and listening to what it is doing I thought it must have a tooth or two missing from the flywheel? ... I hit the starter and it just makes a whhizzing sound. I reach in and turn the drive shaft underneath and therefore it turns the flywheel??? ...Then it will crank right over. Does this sound like the flywheel problem? ...how do I fix it? Is it easy to change the flywheel? where do I buy a new flywheel? how do I know for sure this is the issue? why is it happeneing? Should i buy a service nmanual for this ski? where do i buy that? NEWBIE HERE LOL -- I hate to wrench on things but I guess I will have to since I don't have the $ to spend on someone else doing the work every time something goes wrong. Thanks in advance for any help. ....This is my first ski -- I'm loving it- real fun. Wanted one since I was 13 ... I'm 42 now haha long wait

Your bendix may not be engaging when you hit the starter. If I remember the bendix is integrated into the starter on a 550, so you can pop the starter out and bench test very easily. Also it is fairly simple to pull off the flywheel cover and check for damaged teeth. Lube your bendix with some motorcycle chain lube and you should be good to go.

Top Bottom