Help with Nose Stab please...(pics)

I've been reading here and the advice seems to be to get forward. I can enter the water nose first but the rotation isn't right upside down. How do I rotate inverted?
2010-07-2311-27-36-0018a.jpg
Same thing again and again:
2010-07-2211-37-35-0067.jpg
Another angle:
2010-07-2211-34-42-0059.jpg

Thanks for any help.

the WaTeRhAwK

fryin' up a/m electrics..
it looks like you're doing it just fine, but you need more hang time in the air to allow the boat to completely invert. stabbin' too early.

Waternut

Customizing addict
Looks like you've got it down to me. If you want to get straight up and down in the water, you're going to need more power, more steering authority or a bigger wave. I'd start with a quick steer plate or move the attach point on your steering nozzle more towards the middle.

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
You need to throw your weight further forward to get the rotation you are looking for. I always tell people to try to take a bite out of he gas cap on a RN - that's where you want your weight to be. Also, x2 on the quick turn plate (or mod) - steering throw helps too. The mistake people make with nose stabs is thinking that you rotate the ski with your body, and that is not the case. You rotate the ski with throttle and steering, and your body position is all about unweighting the back of the ski off the lip so that the back of the hull is free to spin when you hit that throttle. Another good tip for rotation is to come into the wake with a small turn to the right - quick hop right into the trough then throw your head at the gas cap, turn hard left and pin it. Before long you'll be getting so inverted that you'll be calling them failed barrel rolls rather than awesome nose stabs!

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
BTW, compare my body position in my avatar with yours - you can see how my weight is further forward. That's a look-back stab, so my head is up, but you can see how the bars are pulled into my hips

Thanks for all the advice. OK, so I'll lean even further forward to unweight the rear. I do have an Invert Tech Turnplate and 0° bars already. I have tried the right turn set up and then hammering the throttle with the bar turn but it often ends up in a complete yard sale with me landing on the ski.

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
I would practice without any wake at all - you can do a perfectly great nose stab with an all stock ski with the right technique. Practice slaloming and unweighting the turns like snow-skiing: zig-zag left and right sinking your body into the apex of the turn and unweighting as you come out of the turn. Just get into the rhythm of it - imagine there is a line drawn in the water stretching out in front of you and your are zigzagging back and forth across the line, but each time you cross it your want your weight off your ski. Down in the turn and oopla! up over the line. Don't try to jump the ski, just get used to that unweighting feeling.

Once you've done that for a bit, just go ahead and on one of the left turns steer hard left and pin the throttle - don't do anything different with your body apart from your regular sinking in the turn and unweighting over the line. It's all about timing - hot the throttle "on the line"- when you get it right you will be shocked at how the back end whips around without even trying. Do that a few times to get your timing down and then you can be a bit more aggressive - throw your head at the gas cap on the left turn where you hit the throttle. Boom! nose stab, without even a setup wake.

I prefer a nose stab to get vertical - rear up, nose down. But, if you're going for that invert feeling then you then need to start on getting your weight forward. For my money a Jason Stoyer style stab is the best - body straight, back arched, ski vertical, not upside down.

Now you should start hitting the wake which will actually set you back a bit since it's much harder to get the timing down. You need to be curving to the left up the wake so that you unweight the back end as the pump intake reaches the lip. Just practice practice practice and COMMIT! You don't want to flat land a stab or you'll be nursing a badly sprained wrist for weeks.

If you hit a cruiser wake then everything is in slow motion: big S turn up the wake - hardly any body motion, just get your head forward somewhat and pin it. I love the floaty feeling of a big air stab. Try to tear your eyes off the front of the ski which will help your body position. Start working on look-back stabs as you get more confident - they look cool, but the also help get your style nailed. The best stab ever is in big surf where you stare down into the trough behind the wave for what seems like an age - awesome feeling!

Last edited:
Thanks for that explanation! I'll try it. I think sometimes we skip the basics and go for it off big wakes or waves without getting the timing down first.

I am looking at the psoition of your head...as in any sport head first , body will follow and the ski will go where your head is pointing....that being said....

Look where you want to go, not where you are going..does that make sense ?? it helped me best with all tricks so far :0)

there was just a recent video posted with ROK doing a helicopter...check out what he is doing with his head...

Last edited:

the WaTeRhAwK

fryin' up a/m electrics..
That helps, but it's not necessary. You don't need much air at all for a pretty decent nose stab.

correct. just saying, going by his picture sequence he posted, he needs more air time with the way he's doing it. not necessarily "higher" just more time before hitting the water to allow for good rotation.

Last edited:
I've got a week on the lake coming up soon so I'll see how it goes. The 'look where you want to go' and 'lead with your head' theory also should help because that's exactly how it works with mountain bikes.

Top Bottom