Super Jet How can i lighten hood and handlepole

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Honestly. Nothing. The AC poles are strong. But kinda heavy from what I remember about mine. (10 years ago). That warmer hood is his 2nd generation hood. Right before he figured out how to make them lighter. I have the same hood. I would invest in a newer hood. And look for a carbon pole or OEM POLE.

Last edited:
Hm
No Way to Cut something Out, to make them lighter? Or work on the inside of the Hood?
I saw a Pole with some holes in the back, just thought about it.

ProSouth

Seriously, Don't be a dick.
as BK said, i'd upgrade to a newer model hood. and a newer style pole. xmetal or rrp. i think wammer actually has a carbon SJ pole.

swapmeet

Brotastic
Factory pole is one of the lightest options. Just needs to be reinforced around the rivets. Or shorten and replace rivets with stainless screws.

As mentioned, the hood is just gonna be heavy. Not much you can do besides get a new one or if you feel up to it, make a mold and build your own hood.

I just thought about to make the inner hood out, and built it with hoses. Can save halb of the weight @ Zero cost.
Can i get the air for the enging into the handlepole alone, or isnt there enough air then?
So that i close the hood complete.

I think iam fine with the pole then. RRP is not really lighter, not for that money. I will shorten it a bit, and stay with the Ac Pole

Last edited:

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
If you have a big motor then good luck getting enough air through the pole unless you are running RRP. I tried it on my Squarenose with an ss865, an Xmetal dual breather pole and no hood breathers. It was not enough air for the motor to run correctly. Had to build a hood liner with vents for more air.

a few extra pounds are not going to be the limiting factor on doing any tricks. horsepower and ball are usually the biggest, or should i say smallest problems. skill helps too. 8-10 lbs on that pole and they never break. they do get concave on the top if you land upside down a bunch.

Last edited:

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Hm
No Way to Cut something Out, to make them lighter? Or work on the inside of the Hood?
I saw a Pole with some holes in the back, just thought about it.

Heck, your pole already has a huge square cut out!!!!!!!!!!

You could cut your liner out and glass over the rear intake section. But after a few pancake landings your hood would be toast. The liner gives it lateral support.

Loose the pole, get you an OEM pole, shorten it 3 inches, glue back in.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Factory pole is one of the lightest options. Just needs to be reinforced around the rivets. Or shorten and replace rivets with stainless screws.

As mentioned, the hood is just gonna be heavy. Not much you can do besides get a new one or if you feel up to it, make a mold and build your own hood.
If you glue the pole back correctly, you do not need the rivets or screws, they just there to hold the pole straight while the glue dries!

iangdesign

Cats, lots of cats!
Is it possible to shorten an AC pole? I have heard conflicting stories. One guy told me there are ribs all the way through them and if you cut them the pole will lose structural integrity. Another guy told me to just cut at the base and then re drill holes for the pole bolt.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
I had one cut in the center and it was fine. we did add a plate on the outside along the weld seam though. And it was not a RR pole so it was not a reinforced one already.

iangdesign

Cats, lots of cats!
I have seen that done as well...it looked kind of ugly but was functional. May just end up doing that. I wanna take 4-5 inches out of mine. Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom