Other How do i get these stupid couplers off???

Working on the 140mm pump swap in my FX1 and i need to remove the kawi coupler off the zxi drive shaft and my yami coupler off my fx midshaft preferably without damaging either shaft.

What can i use to hold the shaft without damaging it? My fx1 driveshaft has all sorts of markings on it from where someone used a vice or something to hold it to put the prop on and id like to avoid that damage to my new shaft. Ive heard heat helps alot when getting the coupler off but i still need a way to hold the shaft. Also they are normal threads correct?

n0limits

makin' power
For the coupler on the mid shaft I have an old drive shaft cut short and ground flat spots to put in the vice and to hold the drive shaft i have an old mid shaft with flat spots.

For the coupler on the mid shaft I have an old drive shaft cut short and ground flat spots to put in the vice and to hold the drive shaft i have an old mid shaft with flat spots.

A very wise idea but i have only the one driveshaft and midshaft from my fx1. Plus i need to somehow get the kawi coupler off and the only thing i have that fits on it is the prop

I dont trust the small vise i had to actually hold it well. Would use use the vise to clamp onto the splines so it has some grip or just somewhere along the shaft?

n0limits

makin' power
I would stay away from the splines you don't want them getting messed up. A little scratch or two on the shaft is just cosmetic though.

The Kawi shaft has a small hole through it near the coupler end. You can use a hardened steel pin or phillips screw driver blade through the hole and then put it in the vise. The pin will keep the shaft from rotating in the vise jaws. Heat the coupler up very well and it will come right off. Kawi uses a locking compound on the threads and the heat will break the bond. You can re-use the washer that's behind the Kawi coupler.

I bent quite a few random things trying to use that hole but i wasnt using heat at the same time.
I suppose next chance i get to go home ill try holding it with the small vise i have, something through the hole and lots of heat.

Top Bottom