How do you set up your bouys?

Well this summer my buddy and i set up some bouys and gave it hell. But as we were lowering our rock to the lake bottom and tieing the heavy string off to the bouys i could help but think there must be a much smarter way of doing this. There must be some other way
Could someone post some pics of the weight, line, and bouy setup.

I use a smaller version of this anchor that when I worked for West Marine I got each of them for $1.50 a piece:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...=true&storeNum=88&subdeptNum=212&classNum=212

I then just use some cheap nylon line and attach it to a slalom course type bouy and wrap the rope around the anchor. I then store them in a plastic laundry basket and when I'm ready to use them I just bring them out and drop them in one at a time and let the rope unravel.

I don't think there really is a better way of doing it. Maybe someone else has some better ideas.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
we use liquid detergent bottles, or milk jugs (if we are in a pinch) (any kind of jug works) and fill them with sand, tie a rope to it and leave about 1-3' foot slack depending on depth of the water.

How do you set up your bouys?
I set them up on all corners and entrances so the lil punk can't get away.....

My bad......thought u was talkin' bout "the boys"......

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Find some enemy of yours, hang him.

Give him cement boots to hide the body, and use the rope you hung him with to tie the bouey.

It's really a win win for you.

For me i use the brinks with holes in them and tie a rope through them then wrap the rope around the bricks then when i drop them the unravel to the right length but i tug on the rope to give the rope some more slack for bouys or painted milk jugs in my case to allow movement from waves. I only set up bouys this way in the the spring and fall when there is no one on the lake and im not worried about abounch of waves and traffic. so i dont know how this system would work if the lake had a bunch of traffic.

I only set up bouys this way in the the spring and fall when there is no one on the lake and im not worried about abounch of waves and traffic. so i dont know how this system would work if the lake had a bunch of traffic.

Yeah I hear that. I had my bouys set up on a busier day and while we were running the bouys a coucher actually came up to one of the bouys and started to pick it up. We then rode over to him and said what the @$%# are you doing and he proceded to tell us that he needed an anchor bouy system to tie his couch up at the beach and he figured these were fair game.:pat:

If you ride in anything deeper than 5' - 10' then string management is critical and a PITA.

Here's a pic of what I use. I made the plastic pieces out of what I had laying around in the garage. Two 3oz sinkers from Gander Mountain for the weights. The hook clips onto slalom course buoys and is tied to the plastic piece about 12" away. There's about 60' of string and I just unwrap the sinkers from the plastic until they're free, let them drop and then hold the plastic piece from the hook end with it pointed down. The string unwraps until the weights hit the bottom... then I wrap the string to the proper length and then wrap it aroud the end piece to hold it. When set right, the plastic piece is 8" - 10" below the water. Only downfall is when you have to wind up 50'+ of string your fingers get a little bit tired holding onto the plastic piece. Next time, I'll find somewhere that sells kites and find some plastic kite string winders and it should be a lot easier winding back up.

Attachments

• IMG_2395.jpg
    IMG_2395.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 33

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
The couchers set up their bouys by dropping one in at a random spot, and dropping another one in a quater mile away. Then they go really fast in a straight line from one end to the other. The person who does the most laps before running scary low on gas, wins!

djyox

Old school -not by choice
My friend and I used to use milk jugs/ tide jugs, etc.. with one filled with sand, and the other filled with air. But that was for skiing/wake boarding, and it was on a calm lake. If I did that on the river, I would do the jug filled with air, and then a brick on the ground so it bites in.

Oh yeah, and we never used to move them, when we were done for the day, we would dive down, filling the one with air full of water, then some sand, and just leave it down on the bottom, then the next day we would come back out, and dump out water, and do it again...

Top Bottom