how long should 1 tank of gas last?

simofx-1

freeride
hi all, thought i would gather some info on gas usage and expected ride time on 1 tank (surf ridding)
I've got a 701 61x that just got rebuilt and im not getting more than one and a halve hours ridding out of a tank. is this normal or am i wasting gas some how?? before the rebuild i was getting 2 1/2 or 3hours out of a tank.
701 61x
-mod pipe
-48 single carb
-surf porting
-stock lightened flywheel
-msd enhancer
-hooker prop

My 701 is stock and I'm usually about empty at 1.5 hours in the surf depending on conditions. Someone I ride with has a dual carb, a/m head piped 701 and seems to use only slightly more gas when we go.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Racing you can burn up a tank on 30mins-1 hour on the tach.

Science has proven that fuel consumption is directly coorlated to the size of your testicles. The bigger your balls, the faster you run out of fuel.

Given that, my gas tank never runs empty.

Fro Diesel

creative control
My ported 650 on solas mag rn sj running one 44 sucks twice the gas my freak does with a similar setup single46 701. Weight difference of 100+ lbs.
Hull weight makes a difference. I think you are on track....better to have it too fat than lean after a rebuild.

Lovin my 650 with the 28Mil carb on it lol. Its a turd but its like the hybrid of jetskis.. 20 bucks goes a looong waayyyy

i have been using my bone stock 1990 X2 I recently picked up, and holy sh*t that tank lasts so long!!!! Its a complete dawg with the 28, but it really is fuel efficient!

I think riding time always vary on ski and riding style. I get about 3 hours on my stock 750sxi and about 2 1/2 hours on my modded one. But it all depends on if im doing high speed runs / just cruising around.

When i used to run bouys with my sxr, I'd be lucky to get 30-45 mins out of it. When I started riding surf more, I would get more time out of a tank. As stated above it all depends on what kind of riding you do and more importantly the ski. Simofx-1, Did you add those mods before or after the rebuild?

simofx-1

freeride
^added mods after rebuild, i cant say i would be disappointed going back to a stock 701 it has all the power i need for surf riding at the moment. the reson i got rebuild was cuase it was ready to blow

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Guys I ride with complain that the sxr burns up so much more fuel than the Superjet. While that may be true, they don't seem to realize the sj has like 5.5 gallons and the sxr has like 4.5.

In my experience porting murders fuel economy. I prefer low prop and high compression with stock cleaned up/matched porting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom