Super Jet How many miles to a tank?

lazyt747

Cool Beanz
How many miles to a tank do you think you can get with mildly modded 701 SJ with casual riding? Looking to do a straight shot from Michigan to Chicago one day this summer.

Thanks!

lazyt747

Cool Beanz
That's about what I am thinking too. I am guessing we could get around 10 miles out before running dry. I'm trying to think of how we could either backpack a gallon or two of gas, or find some way to strap a small container to the from of the tray.

lazyt747

Cool Beanz
Good question. Since it would be two skis, I'd imagine I could sit on the back of one and pour into the other more steadily with a long tube attachment. The only problem, like Quinc mentioned, is chop and wind. We'd really have to find a flat day to do it on, and even still you never know how the weather could change. Planning to be picked up in Chicago possibly, but on the way there the only things I can possibly think of are either a backpack with a bladder and a long hose that I could fill the ski up with, or a separate gas tank with a huge fill hose.

Any ideas?

lazyt747

Cool Beanz
I'm going to do a test run from New Buffalo to Michigan City and back next week on one tank and see where I am at when I get back. That should be roughly 20 miles round trip.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
What about trying to fit in a couch or blaster gas tank? I think those are 6+ gallons. You could also strap fuel to your pole.

lazyt747

Cool Beanz
What about trying to fit in a couch or blaster gas tank? I think those are 6+ gallons. You could also strap fuel to your pole.

Good idea, I just really don't want to mod anything inside of the engine bay. The handpole idea is great. If I could strap a sealed gallon on the pad and then perhaps a gallon or two in the front of the tray, I might be good to go. We will see how the test run goes at 20 miles to see how much I will really need.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Good idea, I just really don't want to mod anything inside of the engine bay. The handpole idea is great. If I could strap a sealed gallon on the pad and then perhaps a gallon or two in the front of the tray, I might be good to go. We will see how the test run goes at 20 miles to see how much I will really need.

An hour spent fitting in a new tank beats x amount of hours floating in the lake waiting for help. =P

High Speed Industries

Your one stop shop for quality parts @highspeedind
I raced my 2008 superjet in the mark hahn 300 race. Each lap was 10 miles. I pulled 3 laps out of a tank running 3/4 throttle or more the whole time. When I came in to pit there wasn't much gas left. Like maybe 1" in the tank. I bet you could get closer than you would think, but I don't think you will get the whole way. During the race the water was glass. I bet I could of gotten 35 miles out of the tank. I bet if I backed off the throttle I could have done closet to 40 miles on a tank. As a throttle reference most of the race I held the lever against my finger (my finger was between the throttle and grip) That way I wasn't tempted to burn more fuel than needed.
Here was my setup at the time.
2008 superjet hull
Stock 701 engine with milled head.
Dual 38s with tau ceti f/a (jetted a little rich for good luck in the endurance race)
Factory B pipe
Solas 12/18
Worx 201 grate
TBM ride plate.

At one point I thought about doing a long distance ride on my ski. My plan for additional fuel was to have a bladder or tank of some sort on my pole. I was going to put a valve and 1/4" line on it and run the line to the ski. I was going to snake the line through the pole bracket and tee it into the return line of the ski. That way I can fill the ski up while riding and I never have to pull the gas cap. If you are going to do this make sure you remove the check valve in your vent tube, if you tank has pressure the additional fuel won't make it in there.

Top Bottom