How Much Foam?????

cornbread40

Livin' the Dream!!!
I have my Klowners expoxied in and holes drilled for foam but do not know how much to poor in? I dont want to have a volcano of foam flowin through my garage and this is my first foohold install. Anybody have any ideas on the amount? Also should i glass or foam first?
Thanks

tbaer

USMC
just pour it in man that is the only way to make sure it all gets filled up. just tape up your ski put down some plastic and pour a good amount in there. by the way you don't have much time to mix and pour before it starts "growing" so pour mix and dump as qick as possible. I have been told to use a mixer on a drill. I have a friend who mixed with a cheap kitchen mixer to speed the process. they say if you use a mixing device it produces more foam than just mixing with a stick.

Mark44

Katie's Boss
Depends on how much you pulled out I would start with a 1/2 cup you can always add. Remember to tape and paper off the ski and floor just in case.

Mark44

Mark44

Katie's Boss
I foam first and then glass......so I can glass over my foam holes with everything else. Here's the pics from my black ski I did not long ago.

http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/44605&highlight=footholds

The only problem with that is if they do not have them epoxied in well they could pop them off the ski so it is safer to glass first then foam. IMO

I never use rivets to week IMO I use self tapping sheet metal screws then pull them after the epoxy is set up then glass and foam foam then glass over the foam holes.

Mark44

Last edited:
The only problem with that is if they do not have them epoxied in well they could pop them off the ski so it is safer to glass first then foam. IMO

I never use rivets to week IMO I use self tapping sheet metal screws then pull them after the epoxy is set up then glass and foam foam then glass over the foam holes.

Mark44

Rivets hold VERY well unless you are on the edge of your cut or drill too big of a hole. What Mark says is true though. However, I am confident in my epoxy jobs and rivets holding my footholds....so I don't worry about popping them out. The large hole at the top also helps relieve pressure on the footholds from the expansion. Either way is fine to me....doing it my way lets you do all of your glassing at once.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
For Mixing Chemicals

i just bend a welding rod at the end and stick it in a drill.

it works well for mixing foam and resin.
it works really well for mixing cabosil into the resin.

empty beer cans cut at the top work great as disposable mixing containers for foam also since they are one time use.

i wind up doing three pours or so when i foam anything, i find it easier to meter the amount when you pour in small batches(less waste)

Last edited:

Mark44

Katie's Boss
y

Rivets hold VERY well unless you are on the edge of your cut or drill too big of a hole. What Mark says is true though. However, I am confident in my epoxy jobs and rivets holding my footholds....so I don't worry about popping them out. The large hole at the top also helps relieve pressure on the footholds from the expansion. Either way is fine to me....doing it my way lets you do all of your glassing at once.

:biggthumpup: either way is fine.

Mark44

cornbread40

Livin' the Dream!!!
Thanks guys. Think i am going to glass first bc i had to cut out hold to allow for clearance on the exhaust. Either way i guess i would have to glass twice. I would have to glass the hole in hold then foam then glass everything Or glass evrything but foam holes then foam and then glass those.
Also Blowsion sent me T88 resin from system3, which worked really well for putting them in, but it seemed pretty thick for glassing. Then again i have never done it before. Any body used this resin for glass, opinions?

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
If the resin is a bit too thick for glass, carefully put a heat gun on it. It should thin out very nicely and soak right into the glass.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
It will, but it shouldn't matter much.
Spread the resin on the glass, then use the heat gun and work the resin into the glass with a roller or a brush.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
I'd do at least 2 layers, but it depends on the glass you're working with and what you are trying to do.

Is this for glassing the holds in or for closing the foam hole?

Top Bottom