How much of a difference between 440 and 550?

I'm loving my 440, but I'm wondering if I'm missing much. Is it a HUGE difference to go to a 550, or just a little more grunt?

Is it like going from a 125 dirt bike to a 250? Because that IS a big difference.

Thanks

440s are fun for the first month or two of learning to ride to stand up after that you're going to want more power so you can at least have a little fun running some flat water

reed 550's make awesome power, and have a lot more power than the piston port 550 motors.. Bottom end, top end, and reliability and actually efficiency are all benefits that come with the reed valve engines.

My 550sx(grey engine) is just a bit slower than my 12' sxr. They are both stock skis aside from the 550 with an almost straight thru water box that's hold hardly any water. The 550 doesn't take off as fast but I think it's needs an impeller and or wear ring.

My 550sx has a PJs pipe, milled head, ported, flame arrestor, ride plate, intake, 14/19 impeller. Scoots like a bat outta heailllll

550/440

Maybe I'll get it all the way around NEXT time....
Hmm... not so sure about all the reed engine comments. They were not any better on HP numbers, but the SX pump was a better configuration. 550's make quite a bit more power than 440's, especially when it comes to torque / low end. The reed engines were easier to start due to the reeds. The later (88, 89, 90) piston port engines had the best port timing configurations, and you can swap one of those cylinders right onto your existing 440 crank cases, but a reed engine would require a complete engine swap. If you are going to do an engine swap, do yourself a favor and just go to a 650 engine.

allow me to correct you.
all 440s made around 27 hp and later years made 29hp
early 550's made 35hp till they went to a 44mm carb then made 38hp
then the reed 550 engine came out, they made 41hp, and the bottom end power on them was better than the 650sx
650sx made 51hp
750sx made 65hp??..
750 sxi made 75hp
sxr makes 80hp

550/440

Maybe I'll get it all the way around NEXT time....
Just using the NADA guide HP listings, thanks for the corrections. Where did you get your #s so I can be correct next time?

Biggest difference to me between 440 to 550 piston port motors was better bottom and mid-range. Best with the '86+ exhaust. 550 reed motors had the additional benefit of even better high rpm potential.

550 motors and 440 pumps were a popular combo back in the day. I think you will be happy with that. If it is a piston port motor run it with the Kawi '86+ exhaust or with a half pipe.

Top Bottom