How To Bail !

Mike Serlin

NOW SPORTING A BIONIC LEG
here's one i like that ronny did...
I don't reccomend anybody do this cuz it is safer to hold on, but the trick is to not let go of the ski if its directly above you; duh. I kick with my feet and while holding onto the bars i sort of carry the ski next to me until it is safe to let go. If the ski stays above me I won't let go of the bars at all.

Attachments

• Freeride Jetski 3.jpg
    Freeride Jetski 3.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 109

XFT LOU

1 hp./1.83lbs
I was practicing flat BR's for Wave rave '08, they're not ride plate landings but close. I just put in the high comp domes and 110 race gas and my body timing was off. The ski got away from me and landing on me. It broke my clavicle in half and smashed my face. If I miss my set up wake and know its not going well I allways hold on. BTW I had a open face on full face now on.

Waternut

Customizing addict

That's usually my style of bail. The second landing done in the video is the kind that makes me wish I had bailed because those really rack my nuts.

I've only been hurt once trying to bail and that was because I didn't kick it far enough and my foot landed on the back edge of the tray. Nothing like a swollen arch. All other injuries have been related to slipping out of the footholds.

Since I've only ridden flatwater, the height isn't as great so the major injuries are fewer but I would think the response time is shorter and getting clear of the ski is also much harder to do. However, the good thing about flatwater is once you've bailed you don't have to worry about the ski getting swamped by the next wave. The side bail usually works well for me though.

Last edited:

Fro Diesel

creative control
in that youtube video on this page, does anyone else see something fly off the front of the ski?

My favorite bail is the huge landing in Niagara i think it is paul Lear but not sure. He goes some 50 ft out and 20 ft up and lands still holding onto the bars but with both feet to the left side. I sure wouldn't want to lose my ski in THAT river.

Top Bottom