Surfriding How to become a competitive freerider (article by Zack Bright)

kid4now

X-H
Zack Bright wrote a nice introductory article on how to become a competitive freerider for XJETSKI.com

Haven't been on PWCtoday for years because you have to login to see pictures. Guess I wont be using Xjetski either. I am happy to login to post but to browse, no thanks.

P.S. Zack kicks butt. Maybe I will see his article someplace else.

Now I'm a nobody with a cheap old ski, but this sport doesn't seem like the type of thing you can realistically expect to become a professional bringing in income at. Those that do it already had money or started young and their parents were doctors/lawyers. The sport itself doesn't draw much spectator interest. Is this at all accurate?

You don't need deep pockets for this, and you can always get sponsored if you're lucky. If this is your only hobby, no reason you can't afford a fancy ski if you upgrade it over time. Though yes, I don't see anyone living off of riding.

You mean you do need deep pockets? Parts are not cheap. Especially for young guys like me on a college level budget. How does one even obtain a sponsor?

This sort of reminds me of flatland bmx, which I used to ride when I was younger. You spin around in a parking lot on one wheel. It looks cool and is fun if you enjoy solitude and practicing, but very few make any sort of money of of it, and those that do aren't exactly living large.

Just save. Aim for a part, save for it, buy it. Same applies for big motors and a/m hulls. Obviously not being in school gives you more cash, though I don't see why you can't get a sick ski either way. A lot of the "pro" riders ride tricked out superjets anyhow, so no need for an a/m hull.

Top Bottom