SX/SXi/SXi Pro How to build a 750sxi the right way

How did you do the turf on the rails? Did you wrap it under and run it up the inside or just stop at the bottom? Stopping at the bottom, I am worried about water trying to rip it off.

Also, did you fill on the sides of the ski where the factory vinyl covered plastic pieces are? In your pics, the turf looks really nice lined up with the outside of the ski. Looking at my hull with the side covers removed, the step in the hull looks deeper than the thickness of the turf. Am I making sense?

How did you do the turf on the rails? Did you wrap it under and run it up the inside or just stop at the bottom? Stopping at the bottom, I am worried about water trying to rip it off.

Also, did you fill on the sides of the ski where the factory vinyl covered plastic pieces are? In your pics, the turf looks really nice lined up with the outside of the ski. Looking at my hull with the side covers removed, the step in the hull looks deeper than the thickness of the turf. Am I making sense?

I turfed my rails and cut it flush with the bottom, If you try and wrap it under the rails the water pressure will peal it back easier. Just make sure you scuff up the rails and the turf with like 60 grit and use weldwood red on both sides and wait for it to tack before applying.
For the tray sides I used 5mm pad under the turf, this will bring the turf out flush with the sides that you are talking about. I used 8mm pad on the tray bottom for comfort. Love it

Nope, should be a easy swap. What size domes did you get? I went with 28cc 750 domes. Hoping it puts me around 185psi on my ported 800cc motor

I got the 28cc domes as well, the "green" color of the head wasn't as neon/bright as I thought it would be. But IMO I think it still looks better than clear! Optima even threw in a t-shirt, these guys frickin rock. I'll test the compression and post the results once I get it up and running here soon.

Thanks for all the info vetteman! Great to hear someones personal experiences messing with the 750 engine. I'll keep all that in mind. For this season, I think I'm just going to stick to a pipe, head, and prop (maybe a mag pump too). I'll start messing with engine next winter. Pics and updates coming soon.

Last edited:

Yes! I know exactly what you are talking about.

Rails: For the rails I just picked up the turf rail kit from blowsion. It worked perfect and I would highly recommend it, took about 20 minutes to install. The turf is cut at the bottom of the rail and does not wrap around underneath. Whoever had the ski before me did this and IMO it looked like shiet. The turf does come off in places from time to time, but I just re-glue it…simple fix.

Sides: This was a huge PITA, and the single reason why I never want to re-turf any 750 ever again. I laid down some padding that wrapped from the bottom of the tray all the way up, one full piece for each side I think. Then I had to cut/trim it to get everything to line up, I even filled in little gaps with small pieces. I laid the turf over the padding and trimmed it as needed, but not perfect. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
Turf to the bottom will definitely be easier. I will try that. Thanks.

As for the sides, I have been filling with cabosil. A lot of work but it seemed like the best way to get clean lines with the turf.

2a4aryhe.jpg
4ehuzevu.jpg

Interesting, I wish I would have have done that. That looks clean! You should show us how it turns out. I would put some padding up there though for safety IMO. Don't' want to land hard on unpadded fiberglass, that could break something. It hurts hitting your shins on the side of the hull after flying over the handle bars at 50 mph….trust me. I'd pad my whole ski if I could...lol.

I will pad the top of the sides but didn't like the idea of grabbing the edge of the turf with padding under. Basically every time I pull it off the trailer.

Probably be a while before it gets turf. It needs paint first.

LoCash in case you're interested, here's my build thread. Lots of technical engine upgrade info on our 800 sxi pros. But we wanted fast 800s. Dollar per dollar if I did another ski I'd put a 750sx cylinder on it and bore it out to 82mm. I think that would make up for the smaller pump on the 750s over the superjets. I don't have much info on my brother's but there should be good comparison info. His set up is basically sxr wet pipe jetting with his 750 factory pipe.

http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=384398&page=10

Turf to the bottom will definitely be easier. I will try that. Thanks.

As for the sides, I have been filling with cabosil. A lot of work but it seemed like the best way to get clean lines with the turf.

2a4aryhe.jpg
4ehuzevu.jpg
Your cabisol idea is looking good but keep in mind what locash pointed out, those tray sides really need padding. I have landed on the many times and often wished I put 8mm pad down instead of the 5mm. Its going to be a little harder to make it work now but you can still run 5mm on the sides and up over the tops but youll have to sand it back off where the filler was used to taper it back down so the turf lines up. (5mm padding with turf is a exact fit for the recessed area)

Thats a good looking ski you had there. Im such a sucker for green.
I turfed the rails to get rid of the plastic lol. not to mention I sold my black rails for more than what it cost to buy a sheet of dual color turf

N3vrSat1sfied

Military Member
Thanks had a Yamaha 701 in it, fun surf ski. Search "Yamasaki best of both worlds" for the build thread.

Mine were purple, so easy to justify turf over em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

youcantkeepup

Aka Chappy
hey guys, i will join in, here is my build, 95sxi with a 94 small pin green head motor factory pipe lightened f/w paint, graphics, skat 8-16, 650 nozzle, freestyle cone.. etc.. it has way more low end then a stock SJ, its on par for low end with a rnsj 62T, with a head, lighted f/w, and riva red pipe. low to mid they are super close, mid the SJ has more of a violent hit where the small pin is a very smooth linear pull.

here is a walk around video

here is the build thread with pics and better write ups
http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=415604

Alright, finally installed the Ada head kit. Pretty easy, just used grease to keep the o rings from moving around when laying the cover/domes onto the head. I decided not to run dual cooling at this point and keep the hose hookup thing from the factory for convenience. I'll throw up a short vid here soon if anyone is still interested. Also installed a worx ride plate, which put a ton of pressure on the nose of the ski...zero porpoising and near perfect handling now haha. I'm going to d-cut my stock plate and run both depending on the type of riding I want to do that day. I can't believe how perfect the worx plate and tubbie combo is though, mind blowing...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
has anyone trie a bigger pump instead of the yamaha engine? my one friend seems to think it would make a bigger difference to mod the 750 engine and do a better pump.... idk

I'm new here, but I can't help dropping in and mentioning that on the east (better?) side of the state...those 80+ temps seems a little chilly to me most of the year ;) I just picked up a 750sx and a 650sx for the gal, if you guys are ever interested, come over to the other side for a day and it'd be fun to get some ride time in!

lo cash many thanks for the post on the build,
I have bought my 12 year old daughter a 95 750 sxi and she loves it, I ride it a little too,
I have the destroyers to put on next, do they really make that much of a difference?
for now I have a ocean pro ride plate and a R&D scoop grate and some rear sponsons, it does ok but the nose buries in a fast turn,
I shaved down the chin pad and put on some JRE quick steer plate and bars,

Attachments

• IMG_0639-001.JPG
    IMG_0639-001.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 134
Yeah the destroyers were night and day difference. The best way I can describe it is;

Without the tubbies its like the ski felt really tippy and unstable from side to side. The whole "driving a pencil" feeling is 100% spot on as far as how the ski felt in stock form. Coming from a superjet, this was annoying as hell. The destroyers gave it the feeling like they doubled the width of the hull and made the ski feel more "square" (less pencil). The front was way more buoyant and it didn't dive into waves as it had before, it "floated" above them. I would have sold the ski long ago if it weren't for the tubbies...seriously. We have them (tubbie 2's I think) on an old 550 we ride and it made it handle like a completely different ski too.

Anyways, It snowing here now so I'm planning on rebuilding the carbs and I might add a factory pipe this winter. I'll keep the posts coming.

Top Bottom