Other How to build custom Footholds?

Hi
I just want to build Footholds like Bobs have.
Whats the best Material to use?
Foam with some layers of gfk? Or some kind of Rubber or any other Material?

I hope that anybody can help me with some Tips.
I need them for my build.

MFg

dirtnut99

Yardsale Master
Ya his holds turned out nice. The adjustability is great too. I'd tell you what he did, but I can't remember it all and only saw steps of the construction when I'd wander by the house...

Cannibal

Tasty Human
My system works pretty good, but unless you are comfortable with fiberglass and fabrication, it's pretty involved. You'll find more info in my build thread linked in my sig, also check with sportfish, he built a similar setup.

I epoxied some 1/4" aluminum bar to the foam, glassed over that, then epoxied "T" track to the glass, then drilled and tapped the aluminum bar and installed bolts throught each end of the T track.

For the holds themselves, I used an old pair of work boots I duct taped over and then glassed to create a form. Then used some more 1/4" aluminum to form a backbone.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about.

attachment.php

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Somebody needs to put together a decent universal kit. I know I would buy one. I have reworked mine 3 times now and am still not happy with them. Adjustable holds would
make everything so much easier.

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
What did go wrong that u have to rework?

Nothing really wrong, just not comfortable. I started with stock Trinity holds with the thick underpad but there wasn't any room for my feet so I yanked it all off and redid them with 9mm underpad. They still didn't allow for a comfortable foot position so I yanked it all off again and spent hours opening them up and shaping them them to my feet and ankles. They are much better now but still not quite right. I did them with the idea that I would be standing locked in the holds but find myself riding surf stance 95% of the time. I left some of the enclosure in the front of the holds and I need to get rid of that so I can get a toe in from the side when I ride surf stance and get my foot further forward. I also need to put something in the back to keep my feet from sliding back....

As they came...
6642.jpg

With 25mm under padding...
6681.jpg
100_3617.jpg

modded ...
2010-06-20 18.47.15.jpg
2010-06-20 18.46.34.jpg
2010-06-20 18.47.06.jpg
2010-06-20 18.46.47.jpg

with 9mm underpad and seamless turf...
IMG_20101128_134015.jpg
IMG_20101128_133952.jpg
IMG_20101128_133940.jpg

Last edited:
You could make the bob kit really easy.

Find out the type of backer board they use.

Have a shop mill some stainless or aluminum plate with slots. (You could also do it with a QUALITY drill press and a milling vise)

Make some pods with bolts on them, I can think of at least 5 ways to do them.

The glass is just glass, you dont need the molds, shape it and glass over it correctly.

The pods will probably be the hardest part. Im working on this exact thing now on a new project I just got.

Top Bottom