Super Jet How to: Carbon Fiber RN Pole Wrap?

Hey guys,

My RN pole is in need of some serious love. The base bracket that the pole slides into is cracked up and in need of strengthening/replacement (still looking for one...). I really like the look of carbon fibered poles. I've done fiberglass work in the past, but nothing with carbon. I'm planning on ordering from uscomposites. My question is, what do I need to order? I want something that will add strength and look decent. What resin should I go with (and how much of it)? What weave of CF would be best? I'm thinking of using the 8.3oz 4x4 twill. Any tips/tricks to apply?

i found this link: http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/77910-2008-sj-.....-Pole-chop-and-carbon-wrap-.&highlight= , but I'm looking for more specifics...

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ya, I found that cold fusion bracket too. No way I'm paying 300 bucks for a bracket though. I'd like to find something used or just fix what I've got. What resin/epoxy did you use? Any application tips?

Any epoxy resin will work fine. West System or U.S composites. Working with carbon fiber isn't too much different than fiberglass. It is much harder to cut and falls apart much easier. Another thing I've realized is it's slightly harder to tell when the carbon fiber is completely saturated unlike the class which completely changes color.

I think some people make working with carbon fiber seem much harder than it really is. Just use sharp scissors, handle it gently and take your time. You'll do fine.

For anyone that cares...Just got an email back from uscomposites regarding their recommendation of resin use:

"Make sure the area to be repaired is degreased, sanded (80 grit) and cleaned first. Our 635 resin with 3:1 hardener would be your best choice for strength, rigidity and pot life to work with. Give me a call if you have any more questions"

Just bought the Carbon fiber and resin. Will post up pics once its done along with anything I learned along the way!

make sure the resin is clear so the weave looks nice after its cured. i would also recomend clear coating with some good uv resistant paint after its all cured because my pole has some oxidation (or somethin like that) spots where its all white and dull when its not wet, once its wet it looks nice and shiney again

Top Bottom