How to lighten a 61x or 62T flywheel?

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
the TBM weighs in at 2 lbs. and its a charging flywheel..62t only though

i just put one on my sj the other day, it works pretty good

hangtime

Speak up ,don't kiss azz
there is no real gain by doing the stockers . you have to go to the rrp or a rad to actually feel the difference and with those it is big .

how can you say there is no gain ?? your still taking off weight .
If a lightend aluminum is 2.2 lbs and a stocker is 4 lbs and you take off .6 lbs off a stocker that's 1/3 of the weight savings that you would gain with a $600 aluminum .:dunno:

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
i think taking weight off a stocker makes a difference...

i think he was arguing the difference isnt as much as a lightweight charging wheel or a total loss wheel.

i did a bored nozzle and a lightweight stocker on my old 750 sx and noticed a bunch of bottom end.

crammit442

makin' legs
there is no real gain by doing the stockers . you have to go to the rrp or a rad to actually feel the difference and with those it is big .

I agree. The potential lack of reliability outweighs the very small(placebo) increase in throttle response. The damage that will occur if the FW fails is huge. You'll lose the FW, stator, bendix, possibly the starter, FW cover, and even the cases. That's a lot of cash for something you might not even be able to feel in a blind test. You can rest assured that the person that did the lightening "for" you(to you might be better)will NOT warranty all those broken parts. Just my opinion.:smoker:

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I am not going to do another lightened stocker.
The difference isn't worth the 70 bucks.

That puts me in sort of a pinch.
I don't want TL, because I want a ski that I can run 100% in salt without worries. Don't want to spend $1300 either.
I am thinkin TBM.

SUPERTUNE

Race Gas Rules
I am not going to do another lightened stocker.
The difference isn't worth the 70 bucks.

That puts me in sort of a pinch.
I don't want TL, because I want a ski that I can run 100% in salt without worries. Don't want to spend $1300 either.
I am thinkin TBM.

Yes, The Rick Roy ones are really nice and light, only about 4 oz. heavier than a MSD-TL flywheel. About half the cost of going full MSD TL, and about half again as much gain in performance, so it works outs.
This looks like a new way to go for a 62T charging type system coupled with a MSD enhancer cdi. You just can't be as aggressive with the compression though.
They're pretty new so If they hold up well, thats the way to go...
I have put a timing light to them as well and the flywheel timing was right on the degree marks!

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
Yes, The Rick Roy ones are really nice and light, only about 4 oz. heavier than a MSD-TL flywheel. About half the cost of going full MSD TL, and about half again as much gain in performance, so it works outs.
This looks like a new way to go for a 62T charging type system coupled with a MSD enhancer cdi. You just can't be as aggressive with the compression though.
They're pretty new so If they hold up well, thats the way to go...
I have put a timing light to them as well and the flywheel timing was right on the degree marks!

do you know if the TBM lightened charging wheel advance timing at all???

would this be relatively safe with 35 cc domes @~185 psi and an enhancer on pump gas 93 ocatane?

havent done the enhancer yet but im thinking about it

SUPERTUNE

Race Gas Rules
do you know if the TBM lightened charging wheel advance timing at all???

would this be relatively safe with 35 cc domes @~185 psi and an enhancer on pump gas 93 ocatane?

havent done the enhancer yet but im thinking about it

Timing control is done with the CDI, not with the flywheel.
My statement was that I verified the timing marks, meaning if you put the stator marks lined up at the factory markings, the timing is at stock Superjet specs.

LPW did my 62t as well and I noticed immediate difference.

It doesn't take much to give a lil extra snap.

I would go charging alum but I have heard some very reputable people tell me they are not reliable long term.

I don't know.....have things gotten better with steel hub and how about TBM? Bullet proof?

THRUST

ThrustInnovations.com
i did around 50 lightend flywheels to get them where you feel a difference at all they will end cracking in a month or two usually of course there are allways exceptions . but i would never do another in fact i through a bunch out because i did not want them t get to peoples hands on here . that is the whole reason the tbm /rrp was made due to rad stopping and no real gain from the oem lightend so we remaunfactured it for our own needs . like supertune said this is the best you will get without going total loss . if you are running a ported big bore or lamey and you have not done this then is the next step .money well spent anyone who wants to test the difference with me back to back in florida you are welcome .

#ZERO

Beach Bum
What happens when an aluminum flywheel cracks or the ring gear spins off or it loosens at the hub; how long will RRP or TBM warranty it?

The stock flywheels usually get lightened a half pound off the rotating mass for 60 bucks vs the aluminum charging flywheels for $600.00 and most of the weight is still in the rotating mass because of the heavy magnets and steel ring gear. :scratchchin:

THRUST

ThrustInnovations.com
i have never seen any damge by either situation but i have never seend a gain worth spending the timeor $60 to lighten the stock regardless of the $600 dont spend it and leave it the way it is . it is kind of like porting an engine $450 to remove material but it works great when done right if not you just wasted $450

THRUST

ThrustInnovations.com
i am sure they offer warranty but most often the failure is due to improper torque installation because guys are installing without a torque wrench . but if you did have a failure i doubt it would be within 30 days anyhow . when i have a flywheel fail i will let you know and see if they will warranty it . but i have installed over 50 and none have failed in 2 years .

Top Bottom