How to peen/mushroom throttle plate screws

Easy Project

Matt,
Run down to the Snap-on truck (LOL) and buy "Needle nose" vice grips.. Then grind one side of the vice grips into a point, so when you close the pliers on the throttle plate screw the pointy side splits the screw and mushrooms it.. (just like a log splitter at home on the farm).. USE Loctite of course.

Randy

Matt,
Run down to the Snap-on truck (LOL) and buy "Needle nose" vice grips.. Then grind one side of the vice grips into a point, so when you close the pliers on the throttle plate screw the pointy side splits the screw and mushrooms it.. (just like a log splitter at home on the farm).. USE Loctite of course.

Randy

Snap on truck

Any idea what they cost,sounds like a good idea unless your cheap like me

#ZERO

Beach Bum
Use the longer 9" needle nose vise grips for more compound leverage, part number 9LN and they cost under 15 bucks at most hardware stores.

31EM7MVHEPL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Thanks guys.
I have those vice grips and never know what to use those for.
Now I know.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
I don't think mine are very good quality. The steel is pretty soft.
I had to re-grind a couple times.

So how did that work out ,seems like it would be difficult.you will be lucky if you have a couple of threads sticking through and you have to try and pinch it with pliers.. Be different if you could get on either end of the screw with the pliers.
Am I missing something

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Worked out alright.
It didn't penetrate real deep, so I punched one in the middle, and one right at the screw-shaft boundary. (Plus red loctite, off course)

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
Worked out alright.
It didn't penetrate real deep, so I punched one in the middle, and one right at the screw-shaft boundary. (Plus red loctite, off course)
How difficult was shaft replacement, and can a loose shaft be oversized or bushed?

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Shaft replacement:
1. Take of throttle plate
2. Take off anything on either side of the shaft
3. Slide shaft out.

I would just get a new shaft if yours is too small.

Yes there are bushings that can get worn out

The ones I did were difficult because the plates had worn into the sides of the carb causing the plates to get burred on all edges,so I had to grind all edges,(4 per carb) down with a pencil grinder trying to avoid touching the carb in order to slide the plates out of the shaft

Pain in the a--

Top Bottom