650/X-2 How to XS650 Crank Case Drain Block install with Pic Got parts from extreemthrottle

Ok Well I had to change my motor mounts so I wanted to block the Crank case drain off too. Well lets gets Started

1st get the Ski to a good place to work on it and make sure to have light. Then Remove the battery from the ski to have extra room and to prevent any problems down the line.
ski.jpg

Now That is done next disconnect wires from your E Box. The Starter and stator wires.

wires.jpg

Also dont forget to dissconnect your carb or cables at the carb. I just removed the carb and set it to the side with the cables connect to it, some goes with the fuel lines. I did dissconnect the pulse line.

Now that is done, I removed the exhaust at the clamp. Then unbolt the engine. (on a side note these mounts are the good ones I have installed)

unbolt.jpg

Then lift the engine out of the ski and place it on the ground or your work bench.

engine.jpg

Now that part is done. Next step is to Loose the cable at the Exhaust

knob.jpg

Then you can tilt the engine on the side and then unbolt the drian

drain.jpg

Then you have this part that well falls off when you remove the 2 bolts. Place it off to the side. It is no longer needed.
drain1.JPG

OK Now time for the plate. I got my plate from ExtreemThrottle. I think the plate is great and the price was great too. Dave is a great guy to deal with. If you need one I would order it from him. One hes a great guy to deal with. 2nd he has the best prices around too. Fast shipper also

Plate.jpgplate1.jpg

Now make sure you have the holes where the plate mounts

drain2.jpg

Last edited:
Ok now that you have that area clean now on to installing the plate

plateinstalled.jpg

Now to make sure you hull is cleaned before engine install

hull.jpg

Also if you engine mounts look like replace them :rolleyes:

mounts.jpg

When you have the engine out check you water line for wear and cuts and such to save yourself some pain down the line. I found this in a my one water line.

line.jpg

Ok Now time reinstall everything Just do it the opposite order. That is how to install a crank case drain and new engine mounts. It took me about 3 or 4 hours to do this. But my ski has not been apart in over 10year. It was sitting in the PO shed for that time. Still has a fair amount of corrision on everything. Had to wire wheel the bolts and just clean alot of parts before reinstall the engine.

nice, i just tried to JB weld one on a 650sx I have, I dont trust it, gonna get the plate. Does extremethrottle have a webpage or are they a seller on here? My engine mounts looked like yours. I have to replace two. My hull was very nasty, I removed fuel tank because I just got the ski to drain all the old fuel. tried dawn soap and water, pain to remove all the water afterwards and it wasnt working. So i used brake clean. Came out better than it was thats for sure.

Last edited:
Yea I know I have to clean the bedplate. The install was done one in the middle of week and well I want to ride that weekend, I plan to do it soon. I was really want to try the ski. I had just got it running. It still had the old Reg numbers on it from Maryland. It now has some Delaware reg on it. As far as the engine mounts go I had got some from ebay due to $$ and well not know if I would like the ski because I had never rode it. You can go to Extremethrottle.com I think, that his site but he is also a member here too. Great guy to deal with and a fast shipper too.

Right now I just picked up a X2 I plan to do these mods too soon when I get the parts. I plan to do a write up like this for it too. Sorry for not postin the thread, Just not checking the site. been running around.

Top Bottom