Huge "standing" waves!

Has anyone heard of Skookumchuck Narrows. It's located on a river on the west coast of canada and is formed by the tidal flows, producing currents of up to supposedly 17 knots on the river, causing a series of waves. Kayakers are all over it, looks pretty crazy. Down stream there are some pretty bad undertows, and in the last 11 years 13 people have died here. Look at the vid.
YouTube - Skookumchuck Team Pyranha

accbr

addicted
They surf in from the side or go into the wave backwards and paddle like hell to catch the wave. Some places they get towed in with a jet ski. Do a search for 'rouge lachine' and watch some of the videos.

I wish we had rivers like that around here. I sold my stuff cause I got bored with the little creeks we have.

Aren't the Skookumchuck Narrows one of the places All My Crazy Friends or Freeloaders were filmed? I thought one of them (or maybe even Coastal Rage) had a short bit in some standing waves in BC?

noodle

I reckon I can break it!
The one in the Amazon is called the Pororoca and they reckon it goes up to about 6 miles up the river and lasts over half an hour.

S

swanny

Rick Pierce film Coastal Rage. He is canadian and from BC ey! BC rules all!!!

Top Bottom