SXR Hull repairs!!

Anybody here or anybody know someone who has done hull bottom repairs on the sxr? I have an 06 sxr and the bottom is showing some fiberglass, want to repair and restore before next season but im pretty sure the sxr outer hull is plastic??? I also have a few hairline cracks on upper hull does that indicate that the fiberglass is cracked or just the paint?

Epoxy resin, like West System is best for smc, check out there website, a lot of info! Resin with a thickener mixed into it after its been mixed with the hardener, is the way to go, then maybe a skim coat of polyester putty, prime and paint. I wouldn't recommend polyester gel coat over epoxy repair.

I don't know anything about SXR's. Someone said there was gelcoat on it and then someone said it was an SMC bottom deck. SMC requires epoxy to chemically bond therefore it's not possible for gelcoat to adhere. Someone please elaborate.

Old_Skool

Site Supporter
Lol haaallpp!!
If your looking for someone to do it for you then I would contact a boat yard that does fiberglass repair. The repair process with SMC is the same as fiberglass, it's just Epoxy resin needs to be used.
Epoxy resin, like West System is best for smc, check out there website, a lot of info! Resin with a thickener mixed into it after its been mixed with the hardener, is the way to go, then maybe a skim coat of polyester putty, prime and paint. I wouldn't recommend polyester gel coat over epoxy repair.

Yep ---> West System

Sand, fill, sand, fill, sand, fill, sand fill, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, prime, sand, paint, sand, buff, enjoy.

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Site Supporter
SXR's are all fiberglass, resin(polyester or vinylester), and gel coat. The only thing that is SMC on a SXR is the hood and bulkhead. So you can use polyester, vinylester, or epoxy resin(preferred) for the repair...

Also, no manufacturer uses gel coat on SMC. SMC always gets paint. SMC is sheet moulding compound and is a sheet that is heated up then sucked down with pressure and top mold to form the hull. Then it gets paint. I worked at the Kawasaki factory in Lincoln, NE for 2 years welding and the SMC molding towers are 40 feet tall. Its something to see, I tell you!

Fiberglass hulls have gel coat sprayed in mold first, then after gel sets up a bit, fiberglass and resin is the lay up in the mold.

Last edited:
Top Bottom