Super Jet Hydro Turf (first time)

Getting my ski painted shortly and need assistance on Hydro-Turf. I am a newbie with all this so I'll keep it simple.

1. What is the easiest stuff to work? I have footholds and was wondering what was most durable?

2. Best glue to use?

3. Best place to buy the turf from?

4. Any best practice techniques for putting this stuff on? I want to keep it as clean as possible. I am doing around the bumper as well.

Any help would be awesome! This was my first sanding job as well, turned out pretty good and got my body shop to paint it for me (just gotta pay for materials)

164224_10100440523304946_869510232_n.jpg296250_10100473278528216_1303861667_n.jpg1025311_10100506610525626_737796488_o.jpg

1. we have always used diamond cut. seems to be very durable and the black is pretty forgiving when it comes to showing seems.

2. weldwood contact cement. think its a red can. can get it at walmart or any hardware store.

3. search around for the best online price or call a hydro turf dealer.

4. Youre gonna want to put the glue on the turf and the hull and let it dry for say 10-20 mins. then apply another coat of glue on each side. let it dry again. it should be sticky to the touch. Cut out appoximate sizes for your matting and use a lot of heat. it will stretch pretty far. If another person could help you have him/her hold the back of the turf up because if you touch it to the hull where you dont want it, itll be tough to get off. make sure you are patient. use a really sharp razor blade when cutting seems. there is so much more to it but im hoping others will chime in as well.

b.lee

Team Cheeseburger
I think only one good coat of glue to both the hull and the backside of the hydro turf is plenty.

If you use too much glue it will cause problems and not have that tacky / sticky feel. The glue cannot be wet when your applying the turf.
It must be dryish, but when you touch it with your finger it will grab and stick to your skin. When the glue is ready it will be extremely tacky and sticky.. not wet and slippery. After putting it on, depending on the temperature, it will take about 10-20 minutes before your ready to lay down the turf

x2 on the weldwood red can of contact cement.
CC20.jpg

SkiDiggity

formerly kawirider142

SkiDiggity

formerly kawirider142
Sand the tray and sand the back of the turf a bit (you don't have to, but I did) then apply a coat of the weldwood to the turf and a coat to the tray. Wait for it to look like it is almost completely dry about 5 to 10 min depending on how hot it is out. You can touch it and if it is super tacky then you can either apply a second coat or just stick it down and go for it.

Just remember as soon as you stick it down that stuff will not come off without ripping the turf.

Be careful to not use too much heat. It will stretch a lot and before the glue is fully set it will work it's way back to shape as it cools.

Use a heat gun to make the glue dry faster. There is no reason you should wait 10+ minutes to wait for the glue to dry unless you just don't have a heat source. And adding more than one layer of glue doesn't make it stick any more, unless you originally missed a spot.

Use a rubber mallet to smack the turf down once it is in place. I made cardboard templates for my ski first and then traced them onto the turf. It got a real nice fit and finish and if you have to do it again, be it to your ski or somebody else's, you have templates. make sure to sand the turf and ski with 60 grit. make sure to evenly coat both with the contact cement and let it dry correctly. when doing the tray I work on the starboard side of the ski (because I'm right handed) and I have the turf over my left arm and I line it up and work it into place with my right hand, moving backwards as I go. Make sure you get extremely good adhesion on corners and seams because that is where it will fail.

RyanRX

WHAT!
I just did my SN.. the weldwood is without a doubt the way to go! I used the gel version and it worked out great. I used a 3 inch foam roller and brush, The key is to apply the gel to both the turf and the area the turf will be applied to... cover every inch. Let the gel sit for 10 mins after you apply it.<-- very important. Don't install turf if gel is still wet. Make sure you have everything precut and dry test the fit before applying the gel. Finally and MOST important... Take your time! Once both areas touch, it is a very strong bond. Patience is the key here. Good Luck

Be careful to not use too much heat. It will stretch a lot and before the glue is fully set it will work it's way back to shape as it cools.

to clarify, once the turf cools it will shrink and you'll have blank spots without turf after.

Last edited:
Use a heat gun to make the glue dry faster. There is no reason you should wait 10+ minutes to wait for the glue to dry unless you just don't have a heat source. And adding more than one layer of glue doesn't make it stick any more, unless you originally missed a spot.

The can of weldwood says to use additional coats for better adhesion. The heat is to mold the turf around tough spots not to make the glue dry faster. It will be dry in 5-10 minutes in the summer months.

The can of weldwood says to use additional coats for better adhesion. The heat is to mold the turf around tough spots not to make the glue dry faster. It will be dry in 5-10 minutes in the summer months.

I know the heat is to use to mold the turf, but it takes less than 30 seconds to dry the glue out with a heat gun.

And the can may say more coats for better adhesion, but if you applied one coat over everything and prepped the surface, then if you just think about it more coats won't add adhesion. All you are doing at that point is adding glue to glue.

I just did mine this year as well after paint. Bought my turf directly from Hydro Turf. If you don't have any cardboard laying around, definitely go to a store and see if they've got some laying around that you can have to make templates. I started with the tray, then the front vertical of the tray, foothold area, and then the sides. The advice on a rubber mallet I second, works very well too in order to secure the turf. Make sure to have a lighter handy when cutting the turf and a new blade in your knife. A hot blade will cut the turf like butter. The only time I used the heat gun was to get over the rails and smooth it out.

Your first coat on the turf normaly will suck into the turf so I do 2 coats each side and have never had any problems

Top Bottom