hydroturf question

I tried searching but couldnt find what i was looking for. Im sure it has been covered before so sorry for the repeat question. Anyways im re turfing two 550's and looking for new hydroturf and want to know whats the best deal on hydroturf is. should i just buy a sheet and try cutting it myself? or should i get a pre cut kit? also want to do the side rails on one ski but have not seen a kit that includes side rails for these skis. what are my options here? also where are you buying your turf? if this has already been covered can someone post a link to the thread?

I would actually be interested in knowing what others have done as well. Better to do the kit or just cut your own up? Do most go with the ultra thick hydro turff (26mm i think?) under feet or the 18mm?

Buy a sheet and cut it yourself. Use the old material as a template or make a template of of heavy paper or whatever. The JS skis are so easy to turf - Hard to screw up. This is one I did on a budget many years ago. Before you could buy sheets of Hydroturf.

JS550 Mat 3.jpg

Cut your own especially since you will be doing the side rails. I used cardboard as my template and had some crazy shapes to make because of the combination of the adjustable footholds I used and widening the back half of the tray and not the front. You will absolutely need a head gun for the side rails and get some clamps as well. I would suggest doing some underpad too if your budget allows. The pictures below are of my first and only turf job. If I can do it you can do it.
image.jpg
2.jpg

Top Bottom