Other I am new and need some info

SkiPro

Trim down for what!?!?!?
Possibly take your buddy with you to check skis out when you do find one. He will prolly know what things to look for like a shot impeller/broken mounts and might even have a compression tester.
Better to have somone who knows about skis with you then some billy talking out his a$$ wanting way too much for his beat down Square nose

Possibly take your buddy with you to check skis out when you do find one. He will prolly know what things to look for like a shot impeller/broken mounts and might even have a compression tester.
Better to have somone who knows about skis with you then some billy talking out his a$$ wanting way too much for his beat down Square nose

Ya if I do find one i will ask him if he comes. I am sure he would love to help! If you are reading this buddy that doesn't obligate you lol

Thanks! is that a decent price you think I might be able to get him down to 2000-2500
If you could buy this ski for $ 3K you would be doing great in way more ways then spending $2K on a SN ( squarenose ) SN goes nose deep on waves and the RN ( round nose ) rides higher on the face of the waves... plus... you will be getting an " X " motor... Just my advice as I have recently swapped from a SN to an AM hull ( Tigercraft Aquabot )

If you could buy this ski for $ 3K you would be doing great in way more ways then spending $2K on a SN ( squarenose ) SN goes nose deep on waves and the RN ( round nose ) rides higher on the face of the waves... plus... you will be getting an " X " motor... Just my advice as I have recently swapped from a SN to an AM hull ( Tigercraft Aquabot )

ya thats what I am seeing. I guess i will just have to save a bit more. Seems to be that much more worth it in the long run

Quinc

Buy a Superjet

I would have thought it would be the same since the RN and SN have the same bottom deck?

Quick tips for the OP:

Get a compression tester, and bring a battery when you go to look at ski. Cylinders should be within 5% of each other

"Needs carb work" = I have no idea whats wrong with it

"Ran great last year but needs a battery" = It's probably not going to start

Other biggest tip is buy once cry once. You can go cheap on a ski now but you will spend the next year+ and 1000's of dollars modding it to your liking.

Don't rush into a buy. Found a 2007 Superjet for sale in Vero Lake for $600 last year. It quite abit mechanically was garbage but after 2k I had a mint ski. Good deals are worth the wait.... Sold that ski for 6k this side of the border :)

I would stylethought it would be the same since the RN and SN have the same bottom deck?

Quick tips for the OP:

Get a compression tester, and bring a battery when you go to look at ski. Cylinders should be within 5% of each other

"Needs carb work" = I have no idea whats wrong with it

"Ran great last year but needs a battery" = It's probably not going to start

Other biggest tip is buy once cry once. You can go cheap on a ski now but you will spend the next year+ and 1000's of dollars modding it to your liking.
Bottoms are the same till 2007... Top deck is different... I have ridden both SN vs. RN and they feel like 2 different skis

you better become good friends with this guy cause your gonna need someone to help you work on the ski WHEN something breaks. surf riding is the most fun but also the toughest on the ski. it will find any weak spots.

Where you are at, buy a stock yami low use, even a 650, single carb..maybe has a prop and a pipe on it, u don't need more.....then ride it, harder and harder...flat, surf, anything on water......if you love it...u will get better and better....then you need moreverything....and you are hooked and then you find the money somehow to the mods, and you will love that process as much....much like a gambler loves to bet...it's in your blood

I like what Quinc said, all of the suggestions are good advice really. One thing you could keep in mind too is that for the most part the engine/electrical is the important part. But if the hull looks kinda blah because of sitting outside all the time, heavy oxidation on the gelcoat or paint chips, use that as a price adjusting leverage point. When I bought my ski (96 SuperJet round nose with 701) a couple of years ago, the ski was totally stock. For me, it didn't matter if it ran or not because I do all of my own work just as many, if not most here do (it is actually very easy to work on these machines). The hull on my ski was really dried out looking and chalky from oxidation, I mentioned that to the owner and that he said it needed a battery...I picked up the ski for $1950.00 Just remember, external appearance is the number one eye candy selling point, if the ski looks a little rough it doesn't reflect how the engine runs. When I put a new battery into my ski it fired up in an instant and ran totally mint all season...several hundred dollars later and a boat load of aftermarket parts and my ski is a blast. From my experience, I believe it would be best for you to look for a totally stock 1996-2007 701cc round nose SuperJet. There are parts everywhere in abundance for this ski, they have plenty of power in their stock form to get you used to riding without being too peaky and have great resale if you find that the sport is just not quite what you thought. I let a buddy try my ski after I modded the crap out of it, he said it was too hard to learn with because the powerband was set up to be all off the line, he couldn't get a handle on it to actually ride. It just kept shooting out from under him when trying to board it, or hit too strongly for his expectation when blipping the throttle throwing him off after he did manage to stand up. Getting a great deal on a ski loaded with parts is nice as it saves you from buying all that later, but it could be what makes or breaks your experience from having too peaky and unpredictable of a powerband. I know that when I was a kid, 2-stroke dirtbikes had no place in my life because each one had a different attitude of when the powerband would really take hold and how aggressive it was. It made learning nearly impossible for me and I ended up hating 2-strokes on land use applications for a long time. The stock SuperJet however was designed to be well balanced so all levels of rider can get through the learning curve and have a great time doing it...and one last thing...Welcome to the X! May your experience here be awesome and the tray time on you new ski be addictive =)

SN superjet is the best stock ski you can possibly buy. The reason is you can buy one for 1500 bucks and do the same thing you could do on the newer RN superjet. Then there is the 08+ superjet which has polarized the superjet community. I personally love them so much if I had 8 grand to put in to a ski I would probably just buy a new superjet instead of A/M hulls and stuff. Some say they don't steer and pearl all over the place. Personally I think they need to ride them harder.

There are two catches...the pole on the SN is not strong and will eventually break. That and the hood was not designed with wave riding in mind meaning while you learn you will take in so much water you can't believe it. A strong bilge or 2 will fix that though for like 50 bucks in material, and you can mod the hood to be stronger and be water resistant with the same airflow for 1 to 2 hundred bucks.

The only good news about that described situation is that the stock yamaha 650 and 701 engines are so reliable you will replace every other 50-100 dollar part before you need to worry about an engine rebuild. It DOES happen....but its considerably rare compared to a cdi failing or a 5 dollar one way valve going bad. I know a guy with an sxr motor that needs rebuilt every 5 years to avoid catastrophe. He'll tell you the same thing as me, buy a cheap square to start.

You cannot go wrong with a yamaha. The only thing you are avoiding by buying an RN is those 100 dollar fixes along the line but in the end fixing those flaws with the SN just about equals the price of an RN and you can do it as it comes up.

swapmeet

Brotastic
x2 on skipping all the nickle and dime BS. IMO, If you like riding your buddies ski, consider yourself hooked and get the best thing you can afford. I've never been happier with the sport than when I dropped big money on basically a completely new engine from @JetManiac with fresh carbs that he tuned for me... basically new everything. Its been a *knock on wood* reliable problem free experience. Wrenching sucks.

Worst case, if you hate riding, you can sell it when spring comes around and probably make most of your money back.

SkiPro

Trim down for what!?!?!?
I know that when I was a kid, 2-stroke dirtbikes had no place in my life because each one had a different attitude of when the powerband would really take hold and how aggressive it was. It made learning nearly impossible for me and I ended up hating 2-strokes on land use applications for a long time.
Weird.. I HATED 4 stroke dirt bikes as a kid.. When i was 10-12 you couldn't pry me away from my Cr85 I would refuse to ride a 4 stroke.. But now i find thumping around on a 4 stroke more enjoyable..

I think that's part of the magic of the 2 stroke design. All the slight mods you can do make it respond so differently! And its so simple you probably already know someone who can help

Yami-Rider

TigerCraft FV-PRO
Nothing wrong with a sn, but I personally like the ride of the rn better. I dropped thousands into my rn making it into the perfect ski for me. Recently I switch over to a footrocket, that another great thing about going with Yamaha, most of the parts will transfer over to your new a/m ski, if you decide to go that route years down the road.

Run now before it steals all your money! Kidding its a great sport and don't be afraid to spend the extra money to get a RN from the start because you will greatly appreciate it when you're looking to upgrade hulls or even buy new parts

Top Bottom