Freestyle i have a kawaski but i just bought a super jet

primist

rowdypiper
I just bought a 91 650 super jet and it seems like it doesnt ride as smooth as my 1987 kawasaki 650sx. Everyone always says the super jet is better but I seem to like my kawasaki. The super jet also has a little crack in the ride plate but it shouldn't effect it that bad I.mean this thing doesn't even was to go stright

primist

rowdypiper
I think that is the right pic it is the size of a silver dollar on the right side of the jet. The steering cables are hooked up right but the ski just wants to track all the time and it hops when I open it up all the way. The ski isn't in the best condition body wise

primist

rowdypiper
Okay I'm.going to buy a new ride plate for it. I keep hearing the super jet is better than the kawasaki. What is the main difference between a square nose and a round nose, ride wise?

From when I was looking to buy a ski. I was looking at 650sx and 750's. I was told the 650sx and 750's are very stable and easier to ride, but heavy and many times described as a 'boat'. The Superjet had the advantage of being a good freeride/freestyle ski due to ease of mods and abundence of parts made for the SJ's. Much easier to out fit for your type of riding. Which I believe is true now. Pretty much all I rode before my squarenose was 550's and once a 650sx. I noticed with my SN what almost seemed like a wobble while at higher speeds. I just learned to ride it and it doesnt effect me any more. Also had issues with hopping out of the water, figured out its all how I stood in the tray. I upgraded to a r&d intake grate and it helped alot. I havnt ridden many skis but I love my SN(even tho its a 650, for now) compared to the 550's. Fix that ride plate for sure.

primist

rowdypiper
Will do it. I might go to the stainless steel prop as well I heard it makes more power. I'm excited to see if its better cause I can pretty much do all the simple tricks on my 650sx. No flips or anything I was also wondering what I had to do to it so I could flip it . Does the 650 sj sn have enough power to flip or would I have to put another motor in it?

Dmac80sc

Site Supporter
Learn to ride the thing in a straight line fast before you think of doing flips! Flat water flip on a 650 sn is never going to happen. If you have some decent size waves in the ocean maybe. It would need a new motor that would be about 5 times what the ski is worth and that hull really isnt made for it.

650 sn's are awesome. You need to ride it different than a kawi hull. To turn and thrash the superjet hull keep your head more centered over the bars and lean your legs out. Get a new ride plate and you will be fine. Stand farther back with your back foot.

I've had my 650 sn for 3-4 weeks now and have been out 6 or 7 times. Each time I get noticeably better at wave shredding on the superjet. Yesterday I was thrashing through washing machine style 4 footers and NEVER felt underpowered. We will have trouble in the big stuff though. Once you get the feel for the superjet hull you are going to love your 650 sn man. Shred those waves HARD. It LOVES thrashing up boat wakes too.

Last edited:
Also keep your pole super low... Waist level or lower. Madmat told me this and since then I've never bothered to lift my pole past my waist. The lower it is to the hood the better your turns and slides will be.

iangdesign

Cats, lots of cats!
You mention cruddy throttle response and not wanting to get up on plane. How is the engine running? Compression? Is your steering cable tight? Get the engine properly tuned, make sure your steering is tight and fix the hole in your ride plate and you will notice a huge difference over your SX.

Top Bottom