300/440/550 I need advice on a trade!!!

I currently have a 92 550sx that isn't running, went through the motor and put all new gaskets in, had the carb rebuilt and jetted. I'm sick of tinkering with it trying to get it running... I was offered an 87 440 with a 550 topend and a bunch of aftermarket parts along with a clean hull that "runs great". Should I do it???? These are the 87s mods: (Long body kerker pipe timlia carb rejeted specificly for this ski , aftermarket airfilter 440 crank under two aftermarket rods and 550 pistons still on stock bore for reliability, aftermarket rare mint high pitch westcoast impeller has a milled head for higher compression but still lets u use pump gas! Bored and gutted waterbox and nice hydro turf bored exit nozzle and powder coated as well for more botom end, then of course the 3powdercats on ski with metal flake and hand done pinstripes )

I wouldn't trade a 550SX reed ski for an 87 piston port. The bolt-ons on the 87 aren't worth too much $100 -$200. What is wrong with the SX?

550s are easy and cheap to buy parts for. I would fix the reed motor... It is winter time, not like you could, or be comfortable riding right now. Use the winter to get the better ski going.

If the ski looks good, and you are fed up with the one you have, then why not do it... at least you can ride.

I have an 88 440 myself.. but you have to ask why he wants to trade a running jet ski with a bunch of aftermarket parts on it for one that isn't...?

It might end up being a project also.

Top Bottom