I need some help from the wizards please.

hornedogg79

dodgin' bass boats
Sounds like weak spark.. losing spark under compression. Do an ohm test on your stator. Also check for continuity between the plug wires. Should be around 5k ohms. Open would mean bad. Should be able to find plenty 550 stators and cdis out your way. Make sure your grounds are good and that you have one going from the ebox to the motor. Look for burnt spots on your stator wires.
FB_IMG_1714691691761.jpg

I hear they make really good beer coolers , you know I am kidding right ?

From the post that mentions exhaust splashing with fuel it does sound like you may have flooded it out, PP 550's are often ridiculously hard to start to begin with . As far as the spark usually it does or it doesn't , put an extra plug in one spark plug lead leave the plugs in the engine, spin it over and see what you have, I have on occasion pulled the carb off the ski if it was flooded and started it without the carb on , it gets zero fuel that way and no need to hold the carb wide open , it will start rev way up then cut off if it's flooded out.
Ya I know. If the balls coming, tee up and swing.

Also I started pulling the fuel in line off while cranking but I'm fairly certain the deed had been done at that point.

I'm out here in AZ now and was registering 3 different skis and I stopped by nasty nics motorsports (super nice guy who loves the sport) and he gave me a new Woodruff key if all else fails. Mine felt tight but it's a new key and new is new. I'm gonna start with a small shot of ether just to see if I can get a zing or 2 out of the engine. If that doesn't end up working, I'll disconnect the stop switch from Xbox. Hopefully it will just start on ether. But I'm gonna go through the process of elimination. Waiting for it too cool off out here and then I'm back on it.

Ga
Sounds like weak spark.. losing spark under compression. Do an ohm test on your stator. Also check for continuity between the plug wires. Should be around 5k ohms. Open would mean bad. Should be able to find plenty 550 stators and cdis out your way. Make sure your grounds are good and that you have one going from the ebox to the motor. Look for burnt spots on your stator wires.
Gangster thank you.

Before I left I let the Cylinders dry out. Hooked power back up. Fuel lines on but fuel filter is dry And on a whim I said f@#k it and pressed the green button.

Music to my ears.

Far from tuned but God damn it's snappy and responsive for the few seconds i let it go sing.

Will be on the beach tomorrow with a table and a impact gun getting the jetting done right.

Will report. Thank you wizards.

Thank you. Runs like a top. Final jet settings are the 110 pilot jet with about an 1/4 turn out on low speed. Needle and seat is 2.0 with an 85 gram spring. The 125 main seems to be doing well also with a full turn out, although, i having been holding it wide open. I want to get a tank through it before really putting the top end to the test. Crazy how snappy the little guy is, and it's pretty fast.

At the end of the day today ski wouldn't start because it's not getting fuel. Fairly certain the carb is leaking. I seem to keep having leaks on all my mikuni carbs. I feel like I'm not tighting them enough because after about 20 mins of riding my wave raider started wrapping out on the top end and now the orange ski won't start. I'll pressure test in the morning to verify but ya it seems like at this point I'm doing something wrong.
Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

Last edited:
Was running the low needle at 2 turns out for awhile and it would occasionally gurgle that would clear out with a little more pull on the throttle. I turned it 1/4 out and it got worse, so I screwed in a 1/2 and rode around for about 4 or 5 mins as low as I could to try and keep my fat @$$ out of water and 0 hesitation or gurgle. I have at this point burned 3/4 of a tank in fuel in just testing on my new engine. I figured I'd be okay for some short wide open pulls. At this time i had a 125 main and I took advantage of a cove where the wind wasn't blowing little swells and letterip. Climbing to rpm was good till it wasn't. Massive hesitation. Close to what might be the last 3/4 of rpm. I did another pass to verify and wasn't just a weird hiccup. I had a gut feeling she was thirsting for more than a turn on a carb. I took her back at the beach and put a 130 main in, 2 turns out again. Same routine go to cover and give a nice pass. This time I reach closer to full rpm but it's starting to bog/gurgle. I take her back and turn the screw in a 1/4. In. Take it for a pass and I'm ohh so close to letting it get to what feels to be full rpm but the ski is telling me it needs a tad more. So I basically give it an eighth turn out. Go for a pass and she screams. Do it again just to make sure we have reached the desired effect and once again, flawless. Revision on jet settings. 2.0 needle and seat. Pop off is the same around 22ish psi still. 110 pilot jet at 1.75 turns out. And 130 main. Slightly over just over 1.75 turns. Ski runs real crisp and snappy everywhere now.

It's running so good I was thinking an intake grate might do me well? Towards the end of the day the lake was getting a little choppy, although I feel like I'm kinda spinning my wheels on the topend regardlessof the chop. I've got a 15 skat trak in it now I imagine running a intake grate will help with every portion top and bottom? More water means more traction right?

Also @WFO Speedracer i did end up doing a dual cooling set up. It's actually kind of amazing how much cooler the engine runs. As I've heard before the stock pipe should simmer not sizzle. My pipe is just below simmer along with my Cylinders. Don't get me wrong I still can't put my hands on it but it's slightly cooler. I havint held it wipe open for a long duration yet but I imagine that little bit of water I added is gonna give me a little more longevity.

I also compared coupler temps. I've never actually checked them on jetskis but after I checked I was shocked to see how hot they get. I feel like they should have made a drip less packing system. What's the normal temps for that stuff?

Last edited:
Top Bottom