I need to know the stock bore size of a 61 X

Like it states I need to know the stock bore of a 61 X. I need to get new rings and my piston is .25 over. So I need to know what to order thanks..

DAG

Yes, my balls tickled from that landing
how do you know your .25 over if you dont know the nominal.

go get you a cheap bore mic, your engine will thank you; not tank you

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
how do you know your .25 over if you dont know the nominal.

go get you a cheap bore mic, your engine will thank you; not tank you

He knows because the piston tops say .25 over.

A cheap bore mic might not tell you anything useful if you don't know the required clearances.

I know that because the shop bored it .25 over. It was stock when they got it from me. and yes the piston reads on the top .25 over. I also know that wsm is the only one that makes it. I just neede the stock bore.

So I take it I should get a 81.25 is that right?

Thanks for the help..

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Couple things:

1. You should have waited with the bore until you had the pistons. Typically, the cylinder is bored with pistons in hand so that accurate piston-to-wall clearance can be bored. Every piston is slightly different in size. As it sits now, you may have too small a bore and need to hone it to get to the right tolerance. If you don't, you might seize the engine. Or it may be bored too big already, in which case you'll need to go to the next size up.

2. WSM is not the only company making .25 over pistons. There's Art, Wiseco, Pro-X, Yamaha, and probably a couple of others.

Bottom line: When you get the pistons, have a machine shop measure the piston-to-wall clearance and make damn sure it's within the specification written on the box for the pistons.

I have the pistons. i took them to the shop. They did the work. I took it out and let some one ride it. They did not look to see if water was coming out of the pisser. Guess what it stoped.. The water line come off and that is all sh wrote. He fried the rings. I took the jugs in and he looked them over they are fine. I took the head in it is flat. So a long story I did not want to get in to is over. I know how to rebuild things. I just need to know the stock bore. Thanks for the help...

Top Bottom