i never gap spark plugs

2006superjet

just one more part....
is this ok or the next time i get plugs should i buy a gapper,
what it the gap like .024 or somthing
its a 06 superjet pipe 35cc domes jetted br8es

I stopped gapping plugs years ago. Theoretically you should, but they were always in spec for me. Used to have a lot of electrical problems with salt water, but haven't had any troubles lately. Not sure what exactly I did different, but I don't worry about it anymore...

dbrutherford

Parts Whore
One time when changing plugs in a non mechanic's 4 cylinder car I dropped one. Well he had bought a gapper and was set on gapping the plugs. I said it was BS and they were fine out of the box. Well the car missed like no other... I pulled the plugs again, trimmed back the wires, ect... I must have pulled the plugs out and put them back in 10 times before I found out what was wrong. He was flipping poop because his car was missing and not running right... Well that plug I had dropped... yeah it needed gapped! The arm was touching the electrode. Fixed the gap and the car didn't miss anymore. I felt like an idiot but at least the car was fixed. 10 min plug change turned into a 40 min head scracthing.

Odd Duck

Jet Vet
Ya know, I hear this all the time from guys and most of the time, you'll get a way with it. BUT, my hubby, you know, the genius mechanic, ALWAYS gaps his plugs. And I can't tell you how many times I've seen him trouble shoot someone's ski that just isn't running like it should or sometimes not running at all (especially in salt) and he asks them if they've gapped their plugs. They say, "No, should I?" He checks, their gap (on brand new plugs) is around .035, he corrects it to .024 or so (I believe) and guess what, running fine now, problem solved.

Take it for what it's worth, but I've seen it DOZENS of times. I'm not the expert, but my hubby is, and I'm a believer.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
the first two week I rode skis, I did

LOL...so true.

I gapped them for running my Total Loss when I had it. Just because the gap should be bigger than what the plugs come gapped at.
The higher voltage does much better with that.

Supposedly. :dunno:

njfl

X-H2
Some of you out there running stock ignitions and Enhancers ought to take out your plugs and try closing the gaps down to about 0.020-0.025". You might find some hidden power. If your gaps are too wide, your spark will be weak at lower rpm and your higher rpm potential will be even further hindered.

Big gaps make more power, but only when the ignition can supply it.

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
wont the smaller gaps foul easier, and be easier ( edit: I meant harder to dry out!) to dry out after water ingestion though?

( im asking, not trying to argue)

BTW, I rarely gap thejm, I visually check, if they are way small, or way wide, I adjust them to be correct according to my highly calibrated eyeball. ( read: anywhere from 20-40 thou probably)

Last edited:
Y

yamaslut

I'm gonna go home tonight and gap my plugs....

for the hell of it

I always minimize the gaps when I get the plugs. I visually smash them down to about 6 sheets of paper.

njfl was right on when talking about shrinking the gaps. It absolutely works (at least in racing applications on stock boats).

Oh - I haven't changed my plugs in 1.5 years.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
I always minimize the gaps when I get the plugs. I visually smash them down to about 6 sheets of paper.

njfl was right on when talking about shrinking the gaps. It absolutely works (at least in racing applications on stock boats).

you know, maybe I need to do that to the SXR, may get some more speed, oh wait, not racing anymore.............. may still do it!

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing

I don't gap my plugs, but I have only changed mine once this whole year, and that was after swamping the engine.

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
I verify the gap on the NGK plugs before I install them
That said, they are alway on the money so I do not change them
FYI

Top Bottom