Im in the fence, SJ or SXR?

I'm on the fence as to wether or not I should trade my 06 sxr that I have owned since new for a RN superjet. I don't plan on racing, and mostly enjoy jumping at the lakes and especially the ocean. I want to know the limits of each ski. I think I would mostly notice the difference at lakes, where the lighter weight of a SJ would be noticeable. But is there anything that will hinder a SXR in the ocean? It seems like the salt water is a more level playing field and the SXR would not get knocked around nearly as easy which seems nice. I know you could back flip / roll both ski's in the ocean no problem, but what about the lake? Say both ski's have pipes, intake, impellers, trim, could the SJ back flip, and not the SXR? I would think both could roll at that point, especially off a ski boat wake. Any thoughts about durability one way or the other? Thanks for your input, easy answer would be to buy both lol...

Last edited:
get the sj.lighter,more nimble etc...
better all around boat and engine is more reliable,especially the crank.
the sxr is better for racing.

i think its pretty common to see sxr as race skis, and superjets as a platform for freestyle. could sxr be used for some tricks? sure. could a superjet be used for racing? sure. is one slightly more suited for one vs the other? i think most people would agree.

SXR-FOREVER

Finally Flippin
you could easily get a lightweight ski for under 7k

Look at the new BOB hull, stunt hull, not sure how much a EME is, the ES trinity's, they all are great. Adding a stock 701 with a pipe and maybe a lightweight flywheel and pump etc would easily be less than 1500

I read often that aftermarket hulls are based on sxr bottom decks, just lighter weight. Just wondering if the sxr has any limits in the surf compared to a sj. Seems like weight is less of an issue there. Just to clarify '98-'06 the sj had no changes correct? Are there more desirable years than others?

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
I read often that aftermarket hulls are based on sxr bottom decks, just lighter weight. Just wondering if the sxr has any limits in the surf compared to a sj. Seems like weight is less of an issue there. Just to clarify '98-'06 the sj had no changes correct? Are there more desirable years than others?

Weight is always an issue - the lighter the better. But I think you are right that the difference is more of an issue on flatwater than surf. SXRs carve turns much better than SJs, which makes them fun to ride in the surf. People spend money on tubbies for their SJs to make them handle more like an SXR for that very reason. Aftermarket hulls designed for surf-use also carve better than a stock SJ.

Bottom line is that lighter is better, especially for flatwater, so SJs rule there. In the surf the playing field is a bit more level, with SXRs getting lightened up to fly more like an SJ, and SJs getting hull mods to handle more like SXRs.

BTW, it's a lot cheaper to make an SJ handle like an SXR than to make an SXR weight the same as an SJ, so my money is on the SJ every time.

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
Just to clarify '98-'06 the sj had no changes correct? Are there more desirable years than others?

Almost: '96 to '08 had no changes. In '08 they introduced some hull mods to... you guessed it: make it handle more like an SXR! The '08 SJ is a big improvement since it has built-in tubbies and other mods that help it carve. But I bet you could find an older SJ and add tubbies for much less $$$ if that's what you want to do. There are also plenty of surf SJs with stock hulls.

Last edited:

stanton

High on jetskis.
Weight is always an issue - the lighter the better. But I think you are right that the difference is more of an issue on flatwater than surf. SXRs carve turns much better than SJs, which makes them fun to ride in the surf. People spend money on tubbies for their SJs to make them handle more like an SXR for that very reason. Aftermarket hulls designed for surf-use also carve better than a stock SJ.

Bottom line is that lighter is better, especially for flatwater, so SJs rule there. In the surf the playing field is a bit more level, with SXRs getting lightened up to fly more like an SJ, and SJs getting hull mods to handle more like SXRs.

BTW, it's a lot cheaper to make an SJ handle like an SXR than to make an SXR weight the same as an SJ, so my money is on the SJ every time.
some misinformation being spread in this topic.
lightweight hulls are not better for everything, in surf its actually quite the opposite. the weight adds some much needed stability so you dont get tossed around as easily.
tubbies dont make sj handle like an sxr, not at all. tubbies help keep the nose up for the bigger guys, add some low speed stability, take away from high speed stability. not very srx like.
the sxr's handling just isnt good for surfriding, its made to keep the nose down and pump hooked up. to slash deep into a wave and keep from driving into the sand you have to slide and keep the nose up. not the srx's cup of tea by design. carve turns on rollers isnt aggressive surf style.

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
some misinformation being spread in this topic.
lightweight hulls are not better for everything, in surf its actually quite the opposite. the weight adds some much needed stability so you dont get tossed around as easily.
tubbies dont make sj handle like an sxr, not at all. tubbies help keep the nose up for the bigger guys, add some low speed stability, take away from high speed stability. not very srx like.
the sxr's handling just isnt good for surfriding, its made to keep the nose down and pump hooked up. to slash deep into a wave and keep from driving into the sand you have to slide and keep the nose up. not the srx's cup of tea by design. carve turns on rollers isnt aggressive surf style.

Fair enough. Thanks for correcting.

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
dude go check out the BOB at the skiclinic.....im getting a stunt hull!

bob is 3500
stunt is 3500!!!

....and a Trinity Matrix or Trinity EVO are not much more, plus he is looking for a surf ski.

If money is a big problem, get the SJ.
If not, upgrade your SXR to a Trinity EVO -2 and drop all your SXR parts right in...

Last edited:
Top Bottom