"I'm just a dumb girl" Blaster Build

brandirad

Be Rad, Stay Rad
Yep, I'm just a dumb girl that probably has jumped in way over my head with this build.

This is my tool kit.
y7atuzy4.jpg

I think things will work out great!

Haha just kidding, let's get down to business.

Starting with a 1995 Blaster. Putting a dual carb 701 with some goodies on it, raider waterbox conversion, along with a few other mods along the way.

My boyfriend (rdrttoy) picked these two skis up last year for a good deal. Had no idea what was under the hoods and had a buddy pick them up for us since the skis were located about two hours away. Joey just wanted another blaster and I wanted a 550.
7eryjyru.jpg

After getting them we popped the hoods and were pleasantly surprised at what we found.
qa3ypy5e.jpg

Problem being I plan on racing this ski in sport spec class and that motor is to modified(hate to say it) for the class. I will be removing it and putting a dual carb 701 in it.....I'll get to all of that later.

brandirad

Be Rad, Stay Rad
Wait did you say too modded? I'm confused. Lol

I'm going to be racing this ski in the sport spec class which doesn't allow porting or compression being over 190 psi. The motor that came in the ski is ported and running 210 psi. Huge bummer cause I'm sure that motor rips!

brandirad

Be Rad, Stay Rad
Switching the waterbox to the rear and to a raider waterbox is suppose to give you more power on the bottom and midrange. When I get to that part I'll make sure to post a bunch of pictures so people can see how it's done.

brandirad

Be Rad, Stay Rad
So I removed the motor, fuel tank, fuel lines, water lines, and basically everything else in the hull. I plan on cleaning the engine bay, even if it doesn't look that dirty it is always nice to work on clean things. And down the road if you potentially have a leak somewhere it'll be a lot easier to see where it's coming from.

Next I was going to tackle removing the foam from under the seat so I can do the waterbox conversion. Started by removing the fire extinguisher compartment which is cake. The challenge came when I was trying to get the hose clamp off of the exhaust hose at the rear of the hull. Between the foam still being in there, the hose clamp at an odd angle, and my short t-Rex arms it was quite the task. But with a bit of cursing and pulling the piece of foam that's on top of the pump tunnel forward a bit I finally got that hose clamp to come loose and was able to remove the exhaust hose.
u3atune5.jpg

I had a few theories on getting the foam out easily. And none of them were that successful. It probably took me 2 and a half to three hours to get it all taken out. Started with some pry bars and hoping i could just kind of wedge them out. Fail. Then proceeded to use the pry bars to chip away at the foam but that was taking far to long in my opinion. After a little bit of thought I decided to try the heat gun on the foam, thinking it'd shrink up a bit and making it come out easier. That was a fail as well. Grasping for any kind of progress I went in the house and grabbed a bread knife to cut the foam. This worked okay, but again not fast enough for me haha. What finally did the trick was an electric drill with a flat bit on it. It makes a mess but way easier than the other methods I had tried. There isn't a whole lot of room to work with under the seat and with my t-Rex arms I was having a difficult time. Thankfully rdrttoy finished the last bit I couldn't quite reach. But at last it's all removed and I'm really hoping this mod is worth it.
tu8y3ume.jpg

uvysevaq.jpg

apujygyz.jpg

atehyraz.jpg

6u5y8e4e.jpg

brandirad

Be Rad, Stay Rad
Are you planning on adding foam back to the area or leaving it empty?

I'm not sure yet. Still trying to figure out a plan for that. The water box will take up quite a bit of space on the one side. And I think I'm relocating the battery down there as well. I will most likely leave it empty. It'll be nice to work on that way if I have any issues.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Switching the waterbox to the rear and to a raider waterbox is suppose to give you more power on the bottom and midrange. When I get to that part I'll make sure to post a bunch of pictures so people can see how it's done.

Are the Raider box's better then the a/m boxes like the TDR?

I had a few theories on getting the foam out easily. And none of them were that successful. It probably took me 2 and a half to three hours to get it all taken out. Started with some pry bars and hoping i could just kind of wedge them out. Fail. Then proceeded to use the pry bars to chip away at the foam but that was taking far to long in my opinion. After a little bit of thought I decided to try the heat gun on the foam, thinking it'd shrink up a bit and making it come out easier. That was a fail as well. Grasping for any kind of progress I went in the house and grabbed a bread knife to cut the foam. This worked okay, but again not fast enough for me haha. What finally did the trick was an electric drill with a flat bit on it. It makes a mess but way easier than the other methods I had tried. There isn't a whole lot of room to work with under the seat and with my t-Rex arms I was having a difficult time. Thankfully rdrttoy finished the last bit I couldn't quite reach. But at last it's all removed and I'm really hoping this mod is worth it.

Oh I know your pain too well. I tried all of the above and finally settled on alternating a paddle bit drill and a sawzall when I did my 1100 conversion. That and a lot of cursing and kicking stuff.

Downside to not refoaming is if you happen to lose a hose clamp on the waterbox she goes down like a sack of rocks. Fast. Ask me how I know :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

High Speed Industries

Your one stop shop for quality parts @highspeedind
Are the Raider box's better then the a/m boxes like the TDR?

Not really better, but they add a bit of performance without adding a ton of sound. A/M boxes are usually really loud.

Oh I know your pain too well. I tried all of the above and finally settled on alternating a paddle bit drill and a sawzall when I did my 1100 conversion. That and a lot of cursing and kicking stuff.

Downside to not refoaming is if you happen to lose a hose clamp on the waterbox she goes down like a sack of rocks. Fast. Ask me how I know :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will keep an eye on the hose clamps that are back there. If we are really nervous we can figure out some form of flotation to put back there.

Currently trying to remove the foam under the seat for the rear waterbox conversion. Any tips for removing this styrofoam easily?
Ouch, that looks like a mess in your pictures. I've had good luck using a large bread (serrated) knife in the past.

Here's what I do to get the foam out. I take a ginsu knife and heat it with a torch until it glows, then I simply cut chunks that I can pull out. The hot blade makes it smelly but its the easiest thing I've come up with. Try it, I think you'll like it.

brandirad

Be Rad, Stay Rad
I was going to do the hot knife thing, but I didn't think my boyfriends mom would appreciate me ruining her knife lol. I was using a sweated bread knife for a bit.

High Speed Industries

Your one stop shop for quality parts @highspeedind
I think most girls would have made there boyfriends do it.

I did some of the work because she couldn't reach all the way to the back of the hull. Other than that it's all her.

Brandi's ski=Brandi's build. I have other projects going on. I only help when needed. She wants to prove that girls can build a nice ski, so far it looks like it will be awesome.

Top Bottom