Im stuck and lost Need some advice

munki63

Epoxy is my duct tape
Ive got two problems and I dont think they are related but they could be,

#1- My ski is retarded hard to start, It almost kills the battery just to get it started once it starts it runs great, It bogs down a little on 1/8 throttle when i really punch it but other then that it pulls great! Starting problem is when it sits for more then a minute with in that minute, i have to pull the throttle about a 1/4 runs like its rich and burns out excess fuel.

My jets; 100 Main, 120 Pilot 18 psi pop-off

#2- If I start my ski out of the water it will rev and bounce off the rev limiter, I'll pull the kill switch and the plugs wires and it still runs!!! I even pull the fuel lines it will run for 20-30 seconds before dieing.
This problem is kinda new, when i built my ski I did do a pressure test on the motor and it held, I realize this problem usually is because of a leak on the INTAKE side of the ski. could the intake manifold have loosened, or am i running too lean on my main jet?

ive been riding for 3 years and every year ive had nothing but problems every year and i love this sport but all ive done is wrench and im getting really tired and angry

Its a ported 701 with b-pipe 44 dual carbs msd enhancer tbm flywheel

PLEASE HELP

Last edited:

norcal ex

X-H2
do you hit the throttle to make it rev or will it just do it after you start it at idle? these 2 issues are probably related. you need to check your cases, seals, base gasket and your complete intake system. If its as bad as you are saying i dont think it is because of the jetting.

EXPERIMENTAL

PROTOTYPES WELCOMED
yeah, im pretty sure if you start bouncing off the rev limiter after start and you shut it off and it continues to run, don't shoot me if im wrong, but i think you are too lean or have an air leak. i know mine once did this out of water when i first got it and still hadn't rebuilt it, not sure what the problem was though.....we did a lot of stuff to rebuild my whole boat, it could have been a number of things to solve the problems. i remember this happening becuase people say you need to choke it until it dies, but i don't have a choke so i temporarily had to use my hands over both carbs until my dad got a board to throw over those honkin' 48's. pardon the pun but it sucked...:laugh2:

Last edited:

Penken

whoomp there it is!
sounds like you are to lean on the low. or air leak.
i dont think your mainjet has anything to do with it. it would be your popoff or your lowspeed adj.

munki63

Epoxy is my duct tape
Well I did do a pressure test on the assembled block, and no leaks and i used a crap load of red lock when i assembled the block/head
also if im running lean and I prime while im trying to start it should start then right? but priming has no effect is seems?
just some more thoughts you guys have very valid points.

check your carbs.
If the block holds pressure it only makes sence to take the carbs apart. I just had a similiar problem make sure the C clips on the throttle shaft are still there holding the shaft seals in place.

munki63

Epoxy is my duct tape
check your carbs.
If the block holds pressure it only makes sence to take the carbs apart. I just had a similiar problem make sure the C clips on the throttle shaft are still there holding the shaft seals in place.
good call! i never thought to check that

Top Bottom