Freestyle Inside Hull Paint

Inside of my boat looks tired because of all the cutting and grinding I have done in the past. On the first go round I painted the inside of my ski with black rattle can....obviously you know fuel and paint do not exactly mix well. I have seached on the site some but I am kinda lazy....What are your thoughts on a paints that will hold up?

IMG_1096.jpg

i was skeptical about por-15, but figured it was worth trying. the white you see by the exhaust hole is fiberglass dust from enlarging the hole for a blowsion exhaust outlet.

the paint its self was strange, it seemed oily, almost like a stain when applying it, but it hardened up really tough. i had a tad left over in the paint cup i used, so i let it dry for about 2 days, then pored a bit of gas in it and let the gas sit in the cup on the paint for about 24 hours. poured the gas out and the paint was unaffected.

how will it hold up? time will tell. i still need a few things to get this hull together for next season.

on a side note, the POR-15 people sell a product called "marine clean". its used for degreasing before painting. I used it and it worked REALLY good. So good that i wish i would have worn gloves while using it, because it was strong enough to burn pinholes into my hands. high level of potassium in that stuff, if you do use it, wear gloves and use with caution. took my hands a few weeks to heal up.

Last edited:
IMG_1090.jpg

heres por-15 on the underside of the hood.

another thing i forgot to mention is that por-15 will clean easily with acetone before it hardens if you get it somewhere you dont want it. i masked off where i didnt paint to get but needed to clean some off anyhow, and acetone did a great job removing it before it hardened.

i applied hull and hood with a brush, and i am pleased with the results.

if you use por-15, stir it, then pour into a cup and reseal the remainder in the original container. if you leave the lid off the stuff it will all harden.

View attachment 204883

i was skeptical about por-15, but figured it was worth trying. the white you see by the exhaust hole is fiberglass dust from enlarging the hole for a blowsion exhaust outlet.

the paint its self was strange, it seemed oily, almost like a stain when applying it, but it hardened up really tough. i had a tad left over in the paint cup i used, so i let it dry for about 2 days, then pored a bit of gas in it and let the gas sit in the cup on the paint for about 24 hours. poured the gas out and the paint was unaffected.

how will it hold up? time will tell. i still need a few things to get this hull together for next season.

on a side note, the POR-15 people sell a product called "marine clean". its used for degreasing before painting. I used it and it worked REALLY good. So good that i wish i would have worn gloves while using it, because it was strong enough to burn pinholes into my hands. high level of potassium in that stuff, if you do use it, wear gloves and use with caution. took my hands a few weeks to heal up.

Thanks, that looks really good actually

interlux bilgekote works pretty well...goes on very thick

remember your paintwork is only going to be as good as your prepwork

Is this the stuff?

http://www.bing.com/shopping/bilgek...ux+bilgekote&lpq=interlux bilgekote&FORM=HURE

Sounds like it is designed for the application. I have a few rough edges to sand still...It will not be a perfect paint job as it is the inside of my hull haha

i use por-15 on pretty much all my parts that i restore and it's awesome. As far as applying it to the outside of the hull, i don't see why you couldn't. but i do know that it has a very different viscosity, so you may have to play around with your spray gun/nozzle. how does por-15 handle when it's flexed on fiberglass? does it crack or bend

por 15 is actually harder than fiberglass resin... quite amazing stuff being a 1k product... it's designed to be applied over nothing but bare metal(por= paint over rust).. but just because that's the sole purpose it was made doesn't mean it doesn't work for more.. if you do use it, save yourself a pita, before you put the lid back on the can cut a piece of plastic bag to fit over the can then put the lid on so the plastic is between the lid and can.. it WILL seal the lid on so tight that you will NOT get the lid back off.. i spray it the same psi as any other paint.. I'm not sure what anyone of you use for painting, but I will not run por through my paint gun, I run it through my primer gun only and that has a 1.4 tip blowing 28psi into the gun(about 10psi at the cap)... as far as painting the outside of a ski, i wouldn't do it, there is no uv protection in por15, sunlight will fade and chalk over.. unless you're going to clear over it with a good 2 or 3 part clear... and their over coat procedures are way to technical to get into on here.. bottom line, I'd keep it inside out of the sunlight if you're going to use it...

Top Bottom