installing footholds first time

im getting ready to install my WF footholds but have never done it before and it didnt come with directions. any tips i should know?? they are going on an 00` sj i plan on using SS screws and epoxy resin then finish off with a lap or 2 of fiberglass cloth over the whole edge
i guess the 2 main questions i have are 1.how far back do you usualy run them and 2. do i have to put new foam in around the foothold?

waterfreak

I had a vision!
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
first, make a template using cardboard by cutting it till the foothhold fits nicely in. then position your foothold were you want to located it and use the template to draw out the outline for the cut out. Once the hole is cut out, you have to remove all the foam around the area all the way to the top of the gunwale.
once done, you can start installing the foothold .To seal then, you can use either thicken up epoxy (mixture of epoxy+milled fibers and/or cotton flock or silica) or 3m 5200. after, I personally use rivets and leave then in and end up glassing right over them. when you are glassing , make sure you go all the way around the edges and also add som re-inforcements on the tray all the way inside the footholds.

Attachments

• DSC00025.jpg
    DSC00025.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 159
  • wcf new wider tray.jpg
    wcf new wider tray.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 122
Define "inside" as you used it here. Hopefully you aren't meaning the inside where your foot goes.

You may have it right, it just sounded odd to me.

I glassed over the entire hold on mine including the inside where your foot goes. I have polystyrene foam so I needed the extra strength but I don't see why it would be a bad thing to do it anyway.

thickened epoxy
stainless pan heads
glass
foam
good to go

95FX1

brrrrraaaaaappppppp
^^ it was my understanding that it would glass/reinforce inside and all around the HOLD...where the foot goes included...at leaset that what his PIC looked like

hey, i was curious if you have a source local for the 2 part foam. I ride by kent island a lot as I have a buddy over in easton. I didn't like WM's price!

ok so here is what i ran into, everything was going ok until i incoverd the exhaust pipe i guess they are too far forward and just move them back??? i dont know but the foot hold on the exhaust side wont fit heres some pics

Attachments

• DSCF0231.jpg
    DSCF0231.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCF0232.jpg
    DSCF0232.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCF0233.jpg
    DSCF0233.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Papnschmilees

Berinnn dinn dinn
When I put my REV's in I had to lower the pipe about 1.5 inches. wasnt too much work. I can send you some of the pictures I have if you would like... glad to see some standup riders in MD

Top Bottom