Other Instead of foam

teton

tetongravity.com
how about making yamaha shaped moldings....I should find out who makes the ones for kawi...have them mold some in a yamaha tray shape....that way people could just de-foam...pop in the molded foam, and fiberglass over it....

WRX Dave

Freestyle poser
how about making yamaha shaped moldings....I should find out who makes the ones for kawi...have them mold some in a yamaha tray shape....that way people could just de-foam...pop in the molded foam, and fiberglass over it....

Anyone have the means to do this. I'm sure there is a market for it.

Motorheads5

Livin the generation gap
We have had alot of tires filled with styrofoam and also HDPE Pipe filled with styrofoam for making float's and I am trying to find out if it is possible to get some portable kit's to use for this jet ski application. I just don't know much about the styrofoam process, other than it does not absorb water at all ever. I will post here when I find out though.

Etheraldreamer

Be there and be square.
We have had alot of tires filled with styrofoam and also HDPE Pipe filled with styrofoam for making float's and I am trying to find out if it is possible to get some portable kit's to use for this jet ski application. I just don't know much about the styrofoam process, other than it does not absorb water at all ever. I will post here when I find out though.

if its not possible to use a portable kit because of tools or whatever you should think about as was stated before, make some SJ tray shaped molds and sell the styrofoam inserts for them.

Motorheads5

Livin the generation gap
Yeah I agree Ehteraldreamer that would also be the way to go.And yes styrofoam does not like glue of anykind a guy could just wrap his premade insert in tin foil that would eliminate the epoxy from eating it.MattE I need to look at your build I did not know you already dug into this Thank's

Last edited:

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
I built the walls of my house with insulated concrete forms. The forms are expanded polystyrene(styrofoam). I glued the forms together with a construction foam adhesive and it didn't melt the styrofoam.

No matter what you do... Make sure the foam is sealed! Next time I redo the foam, which will be soon because my foam is soaking wet after a couple months, I will try to pressure check it like an engine crankcase.

that my friend, is the hard part!!!!

I've used some 1:1 epoxy on styrofoam without it melting.

You could also just throw down a layer of plastic or something else to keep the resin off of the foam.

same here, a couple of times...

Etheraldreamer

Be there and be square.
is the idea that once the foam is wet it will be less heavy becaused there is less foam do to the bottles?

thats one of the reasons yes!
here is my reasoning for the plastic bottles-
1 - a little bit less weight (i understand perfectly dry its negligible)
2 - use less foam (cheaper)
3 - more bouyant in case i sink it for whatever reason it will float higher.
4 - WHEN (not if) water gets in the gunwhales after refoaming, it is impossible for it to hold AS much water as before since the bottles are sealed.
5 - when i meet a hot green peace chick on the beach that is bitching about my evil 2 stroke i can tell her that i built it using recycled plastic bottles and then she will want to come home with me...

Cannibal

Tasty Human
5 - when i meet a hot green peace chick on the beach that is bitching about my evil 2 stroke i can tell her that i built it using recycled plastic bottles and then she will want to come home with me...

As long as you can get her to shave her legs and armpits, and at least give the hedge a little trimming, then you might be on to something.

junkyardj

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
thats one of the reasons yes!
here is my reasoning for the plastic bottles-
1 - a little bit less weight (i understand perfectly dry its negligible)
2 - use less foam (cheaper)
3 - more bouyant in case i sink it for whatever reason it will float higher.
4 - WHEN (not if) water gets in the gunwhales after refoaming, it is impossible for it to hold AS much water as before since the bottles are sealed.

well you got me sold, makes sense to me. let us know how it goes because im refoaming in the next week or so and id like to try it... do you have a layout plan? id also like to know about the green peace chick too shaved legs or not

Top Bottom