Intermittent MID and TOP end loss?? VIDEO ADDED

crammit442

makin' legs
Increase your pop-off pressure that ski is way to lean and not returning to idle properly. :eek5:

Like Chuckie said, increasing would lean further, not richen. Even so, there's nowhere near enough info on that video to say the ski is way lean. It could just as easily be slow to return to idle because of a sticky throttle cable. Almost no info can be gleaned from a video of a ski running out of the water w/no load.

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
Shawn, Why in the h*ll do you need a 195 main jet with 2.5/65 gram spring? Are you sure the return bleed is not drilled out in the carb body?
I'd say you have it WAY to rich, if you need to jet it like that, you have other set-up problems. I haven't done very much OLD SCHOOL X-2's in a while, but that doesn't make any sense to me try to run that low of pop-off and so big main jet.
Try using a 80 gram spring and about 120 L, and 165 main.
P.S. It does sound like ignition to me, have you tried closing up the sparkplug gap to .020?
Sorry I can't re-live 1986! I'm way past this stage now and can't remember a lot of engine set-ups I did then... stupid me with not writing them down. Have some porting and cutting head spec's with some old limited jetting stuff somewhere in my back shop.

Chuck, I was just playing around with different jetting combos and I did not have anything between a 170 and 195, so I tried the 195. I actually have another x2 with a 2.3n/s (65G) 112.5L and 190H running great(?). A few ppl told me with single 46's you have to run REALLY big mains with ported 750 motors and I always went along with it. This is my first attempt at getting a ski dialed in, so its all learning right now. (Painfully at times)

I have asked a friend who is alot better at fixing electical problems to go over everything for me so hopefully he can help isolate the ignition problem. Hopefully with good new wiring and a lower jettings it will solve the problem I have been having.

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE! I REALLLLY MEAN THAT!

But I will definetly take your advice and give that combo a run!

Last edited:

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
Like Chuckie said, increasing would lean further, not richen. Even so, there's nowhere near enough info on that video to say the ski is way lean. It could just as easily be slow to return to idle because of a sticky throttle cable. Almost no info can be gleaned from a video of a ski running out of the water w/no load.

Thanks Crammit, I just put the video up to help others visualize/describe the problem I am having better than I can word it. The throttle cable is fairly new, but its entirely possible that its sticky/slow returning.

crammit442

makin' legs
Thanks Crammit, I just put the video up to help others visualize/describe the problem I am having better than I can word it. The throttle cable is fairly new, but its entirely possible that its sticky/slow returning.

I think Chuckie is correct about the jetting. The only reference I've seen to jetting that rich is from group kmart. I never needed that much jet with a kaw 650/750 with a 44 or 46 carb. I want to say I was in the neighborhood of 120L/140ishH. I also had no trouble running 2.0/80. I'd still look at ignition first. If it ran well for 15 minutes before problems, I wouldn't think carb first.

ANT

Just ride
A few ppl told me with single 46's you have to run REALLY big mains with ported 750 motors and I always went along with it.

any time i've ever had a cylinder ported ski or bike i've always had to jet leaner with the porting. fuel atomizes quicker with the porting, but they weren't full out swiss cheese port jobs either.

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
Hey Shawn.... check your fuel pick up tubes man, I bet one is cracked and letting air in right where the hoses attach. do you have clear fuel lines? Are there alot of bubbles? You will need to pull the hoses all the way off the pickups to do a thorough inspection. If you need a new one, and the 650Sx and the X2 are the same, I have one for the cost of shipping if you don't have a spare.

Last edited:

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
Hey Shawn.... check your fuel pick up tubes man, I bet one is cracked and letting air in right where the hoses attach. do you have clear fuel lines? Are there alot of bubbles? You will need to pull the hoses all the way off the pickups to do a thorough inspection. If you need a new one, and the 650Sx and the X2 are the same, I have one for the cost of shipping if you don't have a spare.

Will double check that. I do have the clear lines I installed 4months ago, and there are no obvious air issues (as of yet). I do plan on installing a set of westcoast SS pickups soon though.

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
Ok, POWDER went over my entire electric system. (Looks so nice now!!) Had a bunch of crappy wires, replaced all stator wires, ect. We put it back together tonight. Took Chuck's advice and changed the jetting, dropping the main down. We left the 112.5L that was in there.

Single 46sbn
112.5L
165H
2.5n/s with 80G (Tested at 14psi)

It was too late to run it, but we cranked it over and it has a NICE blue spark. Much better than before.

Will run it within the next 2-3days on the hose and see how it does.

Thanks all for the advice so far! And thanks to Powder for the rewiring!

EDIT: Also going to order SS fuel pickups, the stock ones I have are in sorry ass shape and I want to make sure fuel delivery is 100%.

Last edited:

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
Ok, POWDER went over my entire electric system. (Looks so nice now!!) Had a bunch of crappy wires, replaced all stator wires, ect. We put it back together tonight. Took Chuck's advice and changed the jetting, dropping the main down. We left the 112.5L that was in there.

112.5L
165H
2.5n/s with 80G (Tested at 14psi)

It was too late to run it, but we cranked it over and it has a NICE blue spark. Much better than before.

Will run it within the next 2-3days on the hose and see how it does.

Thanks all for the advice so far! And thanks to Powder for the rewiring!
We need everything running perfect in 2 weeks!!!!!

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
We need everything running perfect in 2 weeks!!!!!

No pressure!! I dont expect it to be perfect for day1....Thats why I am in daytona for 10days. LOL. I am going to take it out here next weekend. I THINK it should be running pretty nice. It was always RIDEABLE, just not 100%. I gave it my best shot, and worst case I will just buy another ski there. (no joke)

Last edited:
im having the same problem with my 06 superjet. run great at idle low and mid range but when a go full throttle it seems to miss like hell. people tell me electrical too. new jss wires, new advent, all my work was done at team scream. like shawn nj, ive got bad luck to i guess i have to bring it in. i know what your talking about very fustrating

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
My similar problem last year I traced back to plug wires grounding out on my drypipe, and per Watcon's reccomendation reduced the plug gap to between .015- .020 . I also replaced the coil wires and routed them away from anything metal so no chance of spark bleed. In pitch black darkness you could see the old wires bleeding off energy when you reved the motor, and now everything works great.

brand new jss coil and wires done. ill try the plug gaps to see but other people are telling me stator. i dont understand it hardly has any hard hours on it. is the electrical a re- occuring problem. thanks crab ill check it out. maybe could be the advent i have

Top Bottom